About the Datamask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ana

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This happens to be a great mask for me. I have many reasons to like it but I can't believe Oceanic put a crappy zipper on the magnificent case.

Really? you started charging $1500 and couldn't put a decent zipper in the case?

Until I find a case I like now I'm leaving the case unzipped and use a bungee cord to stop the mask from falling out.

A nicely shaped case, that allowed the mask to breath and provided very good protection. That wonder case now rendered useless because of a cheap zipper, what a shame.

I purchased the Data Mask last October and used it 12 times so far and generally think its great for a newbie - info and reminders are in your face. However, I have had significant issues with the thing including transmission problems, dead batteries and now inoperative mask. The dealer sent the mask back to Oceanic and I am sure they will either repair or replace but I am very cautious about buying another Oceanic product...nothing should stop working after 12 dives and my case is not isolated...it seems to be happening to more and more people.

I am encouraged that others have had the repair made and/or masks replaced. Lets see what happens...but I think next time I might choose another company.:cool2:

I got my Datamask right when they first hit the market. To be honest, I never really used all that much. While a very good idea,.... it just wasn't the most practical thing for me & the types of diving I do. After about a year of off & on use (mostly in a pool), I had the battery changed on it. A friend of mine tried it out in the pool & the computer flooded. I had it sent off to Oceanic & come to find out that many of the first wave of these masks to go out had this post- battery change flooding problem. I just got my mask back from Oceanic last week. In fact I'm looking at selling it, so that I can put the money towards a trimix computer. Yes Oceanic did honor their warranty, even though I had a long wait to get it back. As for the case,... well I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on it.

Well, I use it a lot and I like it very much. I did have the issue with the battery cover and the flooding but as much as I hate to defend Oceanic, it flooded because the guy at the shop pinched the O ring.
Maybe the design required more attention than the typical found on dive shop people; which leaves room to put the blame back on Oceanic.
I guess I was lucky with the actual mask, the flooding issue was solved within a couple of weeks, so it didn't take much away from the benefits I get from the mask. I still have masks from 20 years ago and more, so loosing this one was never a concern. My field of vision is the same, at least I can see as much now as I can with any other mask. Weight is another thing I heard people complaint about and I feel no difference.
So maybe having everything work right makes the crappy case even worse issue.

So again, my question to Oceanic:
Why a cheap metal zipper in such a gorgeous case to protect a great mask? more importantly: Any plans to solve this problem?

Since we are on topic. I didn't like it when I tried it a couple of weeks ago. The mask did not fit right and was constantly flooded to a level that messed with the HUD. I usually dive a Atomic Frameless which is low volume and high vis, I noticed the difference is vis with the data mask. It also didn't seem anymore conveinant then the computer on my wrist.

Just my opinion.

We'd be glad to replace your case if you've got a specific problem, and will be more than happy to evaluate another solution should it be necessary... anyone else having any issues with the zipper?

This happens to be a great mask for me. I have many reasons to like it but I can't believe Oceanic put a crappy zipper on the magnificent case.

Really? you started charging $1500 and couldn't put a decent zipper in the case?

Until I find a case I like now I'm leaving the case unzipped and use a bungee cord to stop the mask from falling out.

A nicely shaped case, that allowed the mask to breath and provided very good protection. That wonder case now rendered useless because of a cheap zipper, what a shame.

Hey Doug, borowed my buddies's...loved it. Before I pop big money, rumor at the Scuba Show is that you guys are working on version 2. True or no?

Apprericate the honesty. I'll see if I can score one cheap!

We'd be glad to replace your case if you've got a specific problem, and will be more than happy to evaluate another solution should it be necessary... anyone else having any issues with the zipper?

Sounds great, do I deal with you or do I go through the dive shop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom