VT3 says "BSL" or "B5L"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

memorex77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went diving with my VT3 (about one year old, 134 dives) two days ago, very cold water. Back home I read out the log, everything as usual.

Today I looked at the screen and it said "BSL" or "B5L" in the top line. There was no reaction when I pressed any of the buttons, nothing. I couldn't find this in the manual. The "B" probably stands for blue-screen?:confused:

I thought about giving it a try with Oceanlog, and after the second try it revived and worked, it just lost the time and was reset to 2006, but remembered the last dive. The battery status doesn't complain either.

What does that mean? Is it safe to dive with it? I desparately need it for the next few days!

I'm going to take a guess that it is a Barometric sensor level warning.
As for it being safe to dive with that I can't venture a guess. I would call Oceanic tech support and get a definative assessment from them.

Actually BSL is the programming mode, If you every updated your Atom 2 or VT3 you will get that same screen. Their another thread that relate to this question. It fine to dive with.

Actually BSL is the programming mode, If you every updated your Atom 2 or VT3 you will get that same screen. Their another thread that relate to this question. It fine to dive with.

Ok, I've probably never see it because I program my computers using Oceanlog and the download adapter.

Oceanic technical support promptly answered the same question that I sent to them along this post. For some reason it entered an Oceanic-internal programming mode "Boot Strap Loader". No issue after exiting it. This has nothing to do with the programming that a user would do.

Anyway, nothing wrong with it, and it worked perfectly for the last seven deco-dives in freezing water in Southern Germany.

Thanks everybody, and thanks Oceanic.

My proplus2 just started doing this, and it's still stuck in "bSl" mode. How do I get it unstuck? I tried putting the computer in a tub, to see if the water activation fixed it, but no dice. I've got a double dive in 15 hours, and the computer is my only depth/pressure device. (yes, a lesson, should I get into deeper diving).

Connect the cable with Oceanlog, read out the status or the dives, and it leaves the mode again for good. Works perfectly well everafter..

Dang. I don't own a cable (can't quite stomach spending the ridiculous price Oceanic is asking for it). I borrowed one from a mate last week - and couldn't get it working anyway. Hmm, it was probably that caused it...

take the battery out for an hour and that should reset it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom