Oceanic Atom 3.1 Transmitter Performance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

applecorps

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I recently purchased an Oceanic Atom 3.1 - my first computer with a wireless transmitter.

The range/performance of the transmitter is disappointing to say the least. It behaves poorly particularly after the first 1000 psi are used. It appears that the transmission is highly dependent upon "line of sight" between the transmitter and the wrist computer making it a constant challenge to keep my wrist raised and "in sight" of the transmitter.

Question for Oceanic: What should the range and performance expectation be?

Richard

Hi,

I have an Atom 2 with a couple of transmitters and your right the distance is quite short.

I would recommend having the transmitter on the same side as where the watch is warn (if your 1st has multiple HP ports)

Even though you recently purchased it, have you tried a new battery in the transmitter?

Late reply but I just bought one, too. Haven't had it out yet (tomorrow) but there was a piece of paper in the packaging that described transmitter orientation which maximized the reception based on the transmitter antenna configuration. Look for that paper and ensure the transmitter orientation is maximized to where the receiver is located. Just a suggestion.

Carl

Just a few more days and then ... Under the sea!

I have an Atom 3.0 (which I think is essentially the same as the 3.1). I have only used it 3 times already and yeah, the signal drops out frequently. I have the computer mounted on my camera rig - at the top on the right side and the transmitter is on the same side. My rig is always held up and so would be higher than if I was wearing the computer on my wrist. The weird thing is that while I frequently see the link drop out during a dive, the log suggests it never dropped out (and I have the sample rate set to 2 seconds).

Late reply but I just bought one, too. Haven't had it out yet (tomorrow) but there was a piece of paper in the packaging that described transmitter orientation which maximized the reception based on the transmitter antenna configuration. Look for that paper and ensure the transmitter orientation is maximized to where the receiver is located. Just a suggestion.

Carl

Just a few more days and then ... Under the sea!

Carl: I understand how the transmitter's range is intended to work and holding my hand up and closer does help to re-establish the link but that should not be necessary, in my opinion. I still carry my SPG as a backup and the Atom 3.0's pressure date has become more of an unreliable "convenience" when it happens to be working.

---------- Post added April 11th, 2014 at 11:09 AM ----------

Your experience is pretty much the same as mine. I have told Oceanic that their transmitter is largely unreliable and that, sadly, I now recommend against its purchase since I would never be able to vouch for its reliability. Unless or until Oceanic produces a transmitter with better reliability, there's no point spending the money on it - which might be the reason why they had to start giving them away with the regular priced purchase of the Atom 3.0.

---------- Post added April 11th, 2014 at 11:10 AM ----------

I have an Atom 3.0 (which I think is essentially the same as the 3.1). I have only used it 3 times already and yeah, the signal drops out frequently. I have the computer mounted on my camera rig - at the top on the right side and the transmitter is on the same side. My rig is always held up and so would be higher than if I was wearing the computer on my wrist. The weird thing is that while I frequently see the link drop out during a dive, the log suggests it never dropped out (and I have the sample rate set to 2 seconds).

Your experience is pretty much the same as mine. I have told Oceanic that their transmitter is largely unreliable and that, sadly, I now recommend against its purchase since I would never be able to vouch for its reliability. Unless or until Oceanic produces a transmitter with better reliability, there's no point spending the money on it - which might be the reason why they had to start giving them away with the regular priced purchase of the Atom 3.0.

I wonder if you extended the din port to over your shoulder so that the TMT in front of your body around your chest area whether that would improve connection. I did a search on google for din port extensions and couldn't find anything. Maybe you could ask a dive shop to make one for you.

images7.jpgimgres.jpgimgres6.jpgthe-assembled-xmtr-300x217.jpg

Didn't want to leave this thread "hanging".

;-)

The transmitter is not dependent on line of site, and should transmit a minimum of 36". Anything less than that - assuming placement as mentioned and adequate battery life should be returned for evaluation.

Back
Top Bottom