Has anyone ever tried connecting an Oceanic BUD to a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serpentara

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Atom 3.1 decided to go belly up on me after a dive, so while it is getting repaired I bought a BUD as a backup so that I won't be computerless in the future.

Turning the BUD over I noticed that it has the same three pins that my Atom uses for connecting to a computer. I know that these are also the wet activation pins, but the case even has the same divot next to the pins that the PC interface mounts to.

I bet that Oceanic uses the same microcontroller and/or motherboard on this device as they do for the Atom/Geo. It would just make sense from a parts/logistics standpoint. They only cost < $10 anyway... Has anyone tried connecting to these pins and seeing if the BUD will download logs?

On that note, how long does Oceanic usually take to repair a device under warranty?

Nope. Wont work. The motherboard is different and the download memory chip is not installed in the computer. You cannot hack what does not exist. The pins have several uses, one of which is water activation, and to upload software to the motherboard during manufacturing process. The divots exist because the housing is used for several other models. Repair at Oceanic usually take 7 to 10 working days, plus shipping time on both ends. I hope this helps.

Nope. Wont work. The motherboard is different and the download memory chip is not installed in the computer. You cannot hack what does not exist. The pins have several uses, one of which is water activation, and to upload software to the motherboard during manufacturing process. The divots exist because the housing is used for several other models. Repair at Oceanic usually take 7 to 10 working days, plus shipping time on both ends. I hope this helps.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom