Mynew OCi will not interface with PC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andreau

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Dear Oceanic,

I have a brand new OCi and it will NOT interface with my PC. It is brand new with no dives. I have read the manual extensively and it still will not interface.

I have installed all software from the CD provided including the drivers for windows 7 64 bit OS. Oceanlog opens and operates just fine.

When I hook the USB cable to the PDC and hook it to the computer the computer recognizes the new piece of equipment and the PDC displays the "PC COMM" message and starts the 120 second count down but when I try to either get the settings, set the settings or update the firmware Oceanlog tells me that there is no PC interface. Like I said I have read the manuals regarding PC interface and followed the trouble shooting guide in Oceanlog to no avail. Is there some step or process that I'm missing? Also in the Oceanlog trouble shooting guide there are no documents on the Windows Vista / 7 trouble shooting PC interface specifically but there is one for windows 2000?!?

I am really hoping to get it hooked to the computer and make sure it interfaces and go test it at my LDS in the pool before my expected trip to Belize.

Please help!!

Does anyone have the number for Oceanic troubleshooting? Any advice with this?

Hi andreau, you mentioned installing the software from the CD, did you try downloading/updating the software from the oceanic site?

Also, Here are the contact numbers.

toll-free: (800) 435-3483
phone: (510) 562-0500 (Mon - Fri: 8am - 5pm, Pacific Time)

I finally just called Oceanic and spoke with a technician. First I had to go online and update the software, which is buggy as hell, then there is a very specific set of steps to actually get a computer running Oceanlog on windows 7 to recognize the OCi. First open up Oceanlog. Next get all of the settings setup the way you like in Oceanlog or if you are ready to get the settings from the PDC. Then plug in the USB cable to the PDC then select the "get PDC settings" or "Send settings to PDC". Another window will prompt then you hit start. It is very tricky because if you don't follow the above steps precisely you basically have to disconnect the PDC and close Oceanlog and sometimes have to restart your computer. As of yet I have no dives on my computer and just can't wait to see how it goes trying to get the dive log to download. Now I have taken it to the pool and it does operate as advertised, in a pool that is. I even removed the PDC while down and set it on the bottom and backed away from it trying to get it to lose connection with the transmitter. I was pretty impressed, it stayed connected till I was about 10-15' away and considering it is attached to your wrist the connectivity should not be a problem but remember this was in a 15' pool and I was alone. The tank pressure sensor works great seems to be very accurate. The air time remaining function is great and I can see where it can really help out with reminding you to watch how you are berthing and remind you to breath slow and steady remember champagne not beer as one of my DMs says lol.

So in summary I am happy with the OCi, frustrated and befuddled by Oceanlog and do not attempt to ask Oceanic any questions on Scubaboard because you will get no response. This board is a great idea by Scubaboard but unfortunately Oceanic does not seem to take advantage of it. Now the gentleman I spoke with on the phone for Oceanic was great. Very patient, he stayed on the phone while I downloaded the latest version of Oceanlog and was very happy to do so. I just wish I could remember his name as to give him proper kudos!

I'm going to Roatan at the end of May and will give the OCi a proper workout. I will update with a full review, for what my opinion is worth.

Hmmm, If you have not resolved the problem already. Right click on the OceanLog icon on your PC desktop , open 'Properties' , 'Compatibility'. Under the heading 'Privilege Level' , tick 'Run this program as an administrator'. Click, Appy and then OK. When I had an issue with the actual download that was the advise that came back from Oceanic. Worked.

I have got the OCi to sync with my computer. I have Oceanlog set with admin rights and that didn't help. I found that you need to open Oceanlog get everything ready to go then plug in the USB cable the select "set PDC settings" or "get PDC settings" this seems to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom