Geo 2 Blinking. Is it toast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kenns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had my Geo 2 for a couple of years. I've already replaced the battery once and was due for another battery change soon. During my last dive my computer read gibberish alternating between depth reading about halfway through (total of 62 minutes with max depth of 103'). A week later the screen was blank, so I changed the battery. Now it's blinking alternately between 'watch' setting and 'SI interval' screen. It won't stop. I can't reach any settings changes. I haven't taken it in the water since the battery change. When I opened up the computer, there was no sign of corrosion or evidence of flooding. Is my computer done? Does this sound like a motherboard issue? I'm highly doubtful that there is any warranty left. Still, only two years out of a computer seems short.

Gerneral it 2yrs from date of purchase being in Canda it may be different. Your depth senser is bad they can repair it.

Depth sensor, huh? This is interesting then. Shortly after I got it I noticed that it kept giving me 'rapid ascent' warnings. On one occasion I was able to borrow a cable so I could see my dive profiles and it revealed that the 'rapid ascent' occurred at the last 5-6' of my dive. I KNOW I'm taking it slow at that point because many times I just putter about at 4' but my watch said I was at zero. Every dive showed rapid ascent issues (yet my Cobra is not, even on the same dives). My dive computer came back from Oceanic saying nothing was wrong and, in essence, it was my fault. So....if my depth sensor IS the problem, maybe there's hope for warranty work since I reported a related issue quite a while ago. As the song says..."so I can dream, can't I, can't I?"

My experience with my Oceanic Veo 3 is that rapid ascent warnings are the rule rather than the exception. Seems even moving your arm while ascending (at an acceptable rate) will set it off. That doesn't help you with your problem, but take it in and see about getting it fixed/replaced under warranty - you might get lucky even if the 2 years has just ended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom