OC1 & OCi integrated air issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I have recently upgraded from the oceanic OCi to the OC1 due to having issues every dive with the integrated air dropping out. I now dive with the OC1 and I am having the exact same issue as I did with he OCi. My regular dive buddy has had the same issue with the OCi and the integrated air dropping out and I have spoken to several other former OC1 users who had the same issue and have had to resolve it by moving to the Suunto D9.

When I ask AUP or Oceanic reps they say that they have never heard of this being an issue.

Has anyone here had this same issue? If so, can you please advise how you fixed it?

Thanks in advance!!

Did you ever hear back from anyone on this issue? My Son and I have been looking at the OCi for his birthday. We both do not like the Suunto's, I sold mine back to the Dive Shop for a Cobalt 2. He wants a watch style, and trying to find him a nice one that will take him through Dive Master and Dive Instructor Training.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have recently upgraded from the oceanic OCi to the OC1 due to having issues every dive with the integrated air dropping out. I now dive with the OC1 and I am having the exact same issue as I did with he OCi. My regular dive buddy has had the same issue with the OCi and the integrated air dropping out and I have spoken to several other former OC1 users who had the same issue and have had to resolve it by moving to the Suunto D9.

When I ask AUP or Oceanic reps they say that they have never heard of this being an issue.

Has anyone here had this same issue? If so, can you please advise how you fixed it?

Thanks in advance!!

Sorry, no experience with either, but for what it's worth I had an Atom 2.0 and now a 3.0 and rarely have the signal drop out, and when it does, it comes back very quickly. I know strobes can affect that. I forget what else.

I have used both Suunto(brief experience) and Oceanic AI computer before, but not these exact model. For Oceanic, the connection between the computer and transmitter is identify by serial number. So no or little chance of picking up another diver's transmission. With Suunto, it appears to use some kind of proximity sensor for pairing. So if your connection drop, you may pick up another Suunto transmitter if his/her transmitter is close by.

In my experience with Oceanic, wireless connection can drop once in a while for a few second. But always, if when I look at computer, if wireless is drop, all I need to do is to press any button and within a second, connection restore and number comes back matching my SPG. I haven't been bother with that at all.

For Suunto, connection does drop from time to time as Oceanic, but a few time (in my AOW class), I picked other divers signal and mistaken the reading as mine. This was the main reason for me to move away from Suunto to Oceanic.

Have the above said, I don't use AI anymore for some other reasons

Just got back from a 8 day diving trip with my OCi. The AI and the dive comp functioned pretty seamless (knock on wood) and never really experienced the drop off of the signal. I have the transmitter on the left-side as I wear my dive comp on my left wrist. The transmitter is also attached to a 6" miflex instead of directly to the 1st stage. Though I did notice a 5-10 bar difference between the reading of my dive comp and SPG (dive comp would have a lower tank pressure reading).

Though I did notice a 5-10 bar difference between the reading of my dive comp and SPG (dive comp would have a lower tank pressure reading).

Same for my oceanic AI. I saw it as safety margin when I was still using it. Overall, I was very happy with Oceanic AI. If I were to go back to AI, I will definitely go with this brand again. Company service is pretty good tii

Same for my oceanic AI. I saw it as safety margin when I was still using it. Overall, I was very happy with Oceanic AI. If I were to go back to AI, I will definitely go with this brand again. Company service is pretty good tii

Yeah, I agree. I think it is a pretty good dive comp. Everyone else on the boat had Suuntos and I was the odd man out. The OCi screen is bigger than the Suuntos and easier to read as well. I had switched the algo to Z+ from the factory default which is DSAT in order to match closer to the conservative algo of Suunto.

My entire family has used Oceanic & Aeris AI computers for years, including the OC1, and have had no issues with transmitter signals. Perhaps you have a faulty transmitter...Have you tried an alternate transmitter? I have never found transmitter placement on the first stage to be very critical but have you tried either switching the computer to the opposite wrist or moving the transmitter to a different port?

I guess I cannot really offer any other help, except that my group has hundreds of dives with these things and have had no problems, so I don't think there is any inherent problem with the computers or transmitters..

I have certainly heard a lot more about transmitter pairing issues with Suunto, but if for some bizarre reason the Suuntos work for you and the Oceanic does not, then I guess it would be the way to go.

Yeah, I gave up on my Suunto Vyper air for the same reason - very unreliable. Now I just rely on my brass and glass SPG, no dropouts yet.

The thing about these threads is that they are common enough to make me assume that the reliability of wireless AI is a real problem. The only reason that I would use it is that as a data junkie, I like having pressure info in my logs, if it happens to work.

But what about all those people posting that wireless AI is great? Let's say that the failure rate of these things is 20%. That would be a terrible record, completely unacceptable for your sole gas pressure data, right? Yet even in that scenario, you would have the vast majority (80%) of divers swearing that they were terrific and that they never had a problem with them.

I ditched the Vyper for a Petrel, and didn't look back.

AI - Good to have but not essential.

SPG - Good to have and it is essential.

No one here is debating about the issue of AI vs SPG.

The OP merely stated he/she has issues with the AI while the rest just stated and shared our user experience. Do I like my AI? Yes: It is pretty cool and neat. Will I ever dive w/o my brass SPG? No: Because double redundacy ensures safety.

Let`s not turn this thread into another why one is better than the other thread for there are few gazillion threads on SB about that already. Let`s just stick to the OP.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom