Oceanic 4.1 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbeeler

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I had an interesting issue crop up today... Diving Nitrox 32 and had setup the computer gas at EAN32. First dive, no problem. Second dive at about 75 feet (not sure where it started), it started beeping like crazy. It kept telling me to come up. I saw no reason it would be telling me to come up so I continued with the dive. After the dive was completed I started trying to figure out why it had been beeping at me. It took me a while but I discovered that it had changed all of the gasses to EAN50.

I didn't change it so why would it have changed? I'm not sure when it actually changed either. If it does it again, I'm not sure I can change it in the middle of a dive.

I checked the firmware and it is the latest. Not sure what to do. It doesn't appear to be a hardware problem but rather a software problem. I have no idea why it would arbitrarily change the mix to 50%.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Jim

Your FO2 50% default is set to 'ON'

(read manual to learn more)

Don't know about your specific computer, or the software involved, but on my last 3 Oceanic computers (Versa Pro, VEO200, and Veo 250,), there was a setting which would, after a dive with FO2 > 21%, reset the computer to a configuration of 50% O2 and 78% N2, unless the diver reenters the FO2. (I realize that that is an impossible combination, but this was, IIRC for safety).
It looked Like "FO2 50%" and it needed to be set to "off". I think that it was referred to in the manual as "FO2 default".
Check in the "Set 1" or "set 2": areas of the computer (again, if it has them!)
Or, you could just reset the FO2 before each subsequent dive.
Hope that you figure it out.

Thanks guys... I just thought it was weird that it started doing this out of the blue. I'll change those settings and see how it goes.

Jim

Thanks guys... I just thought it was weird that it started doing this out of the blue. I'll change those settings and see how it goes.

Jim

If your PP02 was set at 1.6 and your computer was at F02 50% then your MOD was 72 feet so that is why your alarms went off.

Is this the first time you've dove a second dive past 72 feet with this computer?

If your PP02 was set at 1.6 and your computer was at F02 50% then your MOD was 72 feet so that is why your alarms went off.

Is this the first time you've dove a second dive past 72 feet with this computer?

No, I'm on Bonaire and have been going between probably 50 and 100 feet. This is the first time that it had reset it from the 32 that I've been using all week. In fact it was on the second dive of the morning. The first went over 100 feet.

Anyway, I've got the default reset to no, so hopefully I won't have the problem again.

Thanks again.

Jim

Why would the default be .50?

It would seem to invite problems?

After thinking about it for a while, it would give you the most conservative dive parameters so it does make sense. It was just frustrating that all of a sudden it started changing to 50%. Prior to this I'd always been diving with air so I guess, it defaulted to air. After the first time I switched to Nitrox, it forces you to set the mixture every time. It may have been in the instructions but I didn't remember seeing it.

Thanks to the suggestions made by responders, I was able to turn default off and all was well. I was able to finish out the week without further incident.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom