Pro Plus 3 users....speak up !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stu1965

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm eyeballing the pro plus 3, with qd, compass and usb. I searched this forum and really didn't see anyones issues or raves. So....for those who have it, please let me know your thoughts....good, bad, indifferent....i want to hear it all.

Thanks in advance,
Stu

Stu,

I have 3 of them for my family. I originally wanted the non-qd but ended up getting the qd and happy that I did.

The Good:
The screen is very large, the information is presented very well.
The air integration is welcomed. I also like that it calculates the SAC rate.
I love the NDL and ATR (Air Time Remaining) indications.
The Bar graphs are usable (N2 indications) again due to the size.
The logging is excellent, I use a 2sec sample rate and am very happy about the graph on the Oceanic logbook.
Configuration is very easy and intuitive. My 14 year old can easily set it up for the Nitrox mixtures.
I like the audible alarms when diving with my family. I know their air status from them.
I love the ATR when planning our dive to arrive back on the boat with a specific amount of air remaining.
In deco mode, it is very intuitive and easy to understand for a rec level computer. I do not recommend using it for deco though.
2 dive algorithms to chose from. (DSAT, Z+)

The Bad:
They are very chatty with alarms. Even turning most of them off, they still chat a lot.
Expensive cable to connect to computer for reading logs. Kind of bad that such a pricey computer does not come with one. It is ~$90.
The compass is usable but not ideal, not sure any console can be though.
I wish I could set the backlight to always be on or at least a very long duration (yes I know it will quickly drain the batteries).
I find that switching between gas mixes is cumbersome and prone to user error.
I do not like that if you set the gas and have a long boat ride, the gas will reset back to the last used. This caused me to dive while set on air even though I had set it to nitrox while setting up my gear. (3hr boat ride)
My wife's screen turned off during a long dive (80 minutes). She just needed to press a button for it to continue. It tracked the entire dive so there were no worries other than seeing it off.
I am not a big fan of the Oceanic Log book (OceanLog). Seeing the dive profile displayed is nice but I do not like the overall log program.

The Faults:
My daughter's computer temperature is off my more than it should be.
My wife's had a funny error where it turned on during an airplane flight. It thought that we were still diving while on the island (about 1200' up). I had to buy a screw driver and remove the battery to reset.
I had my daughter's computer alarm for no reason during a dive, when reviewing the log, it had lost some of the samples. This only happened like this once.
I have lost some samples of logs on several dives from several of the computers. No worries as the dive was tracked normal. I think the log was not written properly and causes logging corruption.

Impression with Oceanic Support:
I have put in 3 calls to Oceanic about the computer. One because I was sold the wrong cable by a LDS and needed to verify it, another for the temperature issue, the last for information on the storage capabilities at 2sec sampling. They talked me through several checks to verify the cable and quickly isolated the issue. The LDS swapped without issue, Both other times, Oceanic responded quickly and for the temperature, offered to service it (I decided not to) and for the information, they sent me detailed data that gave me what I required.

Overall, I really like the computer. It is usable, easy to read and overall well constructed. I think Oceanic has put together a good package albeit a little on the pricey side. When we are diving, we will bring the computers back to the hotel with us which is the nice thing about the qd. My problems with the computer are limited and minor. I feel that it is very easy to recommend this computer to anyone and will be sure that they will enjoy them also. I trust them and I am comfortable having my family use them.

I don't have one but was eyeing the ones my dive buddies have before purchasing my Cobalt. I really wanted an electronic compass versus the mechanical version on the Pro Plus 3. That and the color, high contrast screen on the Cobalt. The Pro Plus 3 was my runner-up computer.

My buddy's only complaint has been the intuitiveness of the user interface. He said only having two buttons makes it more difficult to navigate through the log and other menu items. Other than that complaint, he really likes it. He said it is a great computer under the water, will handle enriched air, has gas switches, and has a nice, large display.

I am a new diver and I bought a Pro plus 3 and can not find any classes for it. I went to the Oceanic site (supplied in the products disk) and I get "Page not Found" for almost every page. I have emailed them 3 times and they do not respond. I am VERY disappointed in Oceanic. anyone else have these issues?

I am a new diver and I bought a Pro plus 3 and can not find any classes for it.....
Bad News: We do not have yet a class for the Oceanic Pro Plus 3.
Good News: We have finally received a sample and are now working on creating a simulator for the Pro Plus 3. Once the simulator is completed (3 to 4 weeks) it will be available in both divePAL and eDiving and we will start working on the PP3 class.

well, I pulled the trigger on one yesterday. Hope I like it !

Just picked one up, as well. Thanks to stu1965 for starting this thread and to packrat12 for the extremely useful review. Looking forward to diving it. I was kind of disappointed that I couldn't use my miflex hose to mount the Pro Plus 3's quick disconnect. Any idea if Oceanic is coming out with a miflex-type hose for this computer?

I think you both will like it. Overall I am happy I purchased mine and have gotten a lot of use out of them (about 100 dives total on 3 of them).

I have seen a number of 'complaints' that the unit does not have an On-Line simulator but from actually using it and reading the documentation, I found I would not have needed one. I had bought my young daughter an air only computer prior to this one, which I used the the simulator to help teach her what she would see as that computer was her first and I felt I wanted to talk through the data with her. I think I used the simulator one time with her.

Once I bought these, we did a quick checkout dive to see the display and play with it in the water. It really is easy to set and monitor. The 2 buttons make it easy to adjust and the large display allows for a decent description of the menu you are on. My daughter (13 at the time) is responsible for setting the nitrox mix on her own computer. She has no issues with it. The only confusion is with the Set/On/Off selection for the option that you are setting. Once you get used to that, it is easy. Truly my only user complaint is that the gas switch during deco can be a pain and is prone to user error. I do not use this as my deco computer (Shearwater Petrel is great for that) so it is not an issue.

I've' done two dives on mine last week. Prob should have put a little screen protector on it, already have some minor scratches. Made no changes to it, just jumped in the water. I love that I dont need my readers to see the details. So far, so good. Still waiting for the cable so I can tie it to my diverlog. So far, so good.

quick video, where it makes an appearance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjuf5N3RqA4&list=UUz9_6El2QZLDEn6jyp4ZPHA

I'm considering one to replace a failed Suunto Cobra and am disappointed to see it does not record starting and ending air pressure in the log. Any chance a software update will add that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom