Is using a rubber boot a bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a Oceanic Veo puck style wrist mount computer. I want to take it out of the wrist mount and insert it into a rubber boot and then into a retractable base to attach to a D ring. There're is a unit made by XS Scuba. I am concerned that using a boot that is not made specifically for the Oceanic Wrist computer could potentially block the sensor array causing faulty readings. Is this a reasonable possibly?

Fred Garvin, MP

I see no complications other than it might not fit. Other than that, I am interested in your choice of where you want to place the computer. Is going to go from your wrist and be attached to a D ring with a retractor? If that is the case then, as for me, that would be the last place that I would put a computer. 1) not easy to glance at, 2) requires one hand busy, 3) while using a compass and have to monitor depth seems like it would be a real pain. Just my thoughts and you might have a good reason for this decision. Take care and dive safe and often.

Tony,

Thank you for your reply. For your information, I intend to use the retractable D ring mount computer as a backup computer. My primary is a AI consul. My concern is that the rubber boot is designed for another brand of puck computer. The sensors array appear to be somewhat blocked by the rubber. I assume this could potentially reduce the accuracy of the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom