discrepancy between computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have two Oceanic computers that are for nitrox. One computer has a single button and appears to give me no deco dives that are consistent with what i have done in the past. I have another Oceanic computer, possibly a few years newer, which has two buttons. The second 2-button computer is giving me drastically lower no-deco times when diving.

The computers are set identically with same mix and we have compared the depth readings and elapsed times and they are in agreement. Last weekend I had 10 more minutes of no deco time, than the other computer. On a subsequent dive, the 2-button computer ended up with a 15 minute deco (for a 130 ft dive for maybe 6 minutes) while the other computer was still showing zero deco.

Is it possible the computer is that much different..or does it sound like it is not working properly?

thanks for the help.. sorry i don't have the model names in front of me..

Check what gas model the computers are using. On my OCS, I have an option of 2 different gas models. The one model gives me times which are close to what my Vyper gives me, and the other gives me rather different numbers.

Depth readings and elapsed times being the same means we can rule out equipment variation. And we can assume they are working "properly" according to their sensors.

So it sounds like a more conservation algorithm has kicked in on the second unit. Did you by chance leave the second dive computer in the vicinity of a Suunto?

What model Oceanic? The VEO computers for example support both Pelagic DSAT and Pelagic Z+ deco algorithms. You can configure which one is used.

Based on your description, I'd have to guess Veo 1.0 (one button) and Veo 2.0 (2 button). Both are configurable as described above, so you'd just have to configure the new computer to match the old.

I had similar problem with a VEO 200 and an older Data Plus for a baseline. The VEO 200 was giving me much shorter NDLs on subsequent dives with EAN32. When I switched the DEFAULT setting from "yes" to "no", the problem seemed to go away as I reset the PO2 before each dive.

I have used a bunch of Oceanics from Prodigys to Datamax to Veo's with 1 and 2 buttons and all seem to give similar times. 3 of us dive together with the different variants and for awhile I carried a Datamax alongside my Veo 250. Couldn't tell any difference other than a foot of depth on occasion.

Depth readings and elapsed times being the same means we can rule out equipment variation. And we can assume they are working "properly" according to their sensors.

So it sounds like a more conservation algorithm has kicked in on the second unit. Did you by chance leave the second dive computer in the vicinity of a Suunto?

Suunto computers are infectious?? :wink:

I would like for someone from Oceanic to give me an answer. Do they monitor this?

Today, I had my 15-yr old son completely blow off a mandatory 25 minute deco stop (well we did stop for about 5 minutes anyway) on his computer for his second dive.

His computer seems to work perfectly, today upon our initial descent we compared computers. We had the same (or similar) mix... his computer read 80 feet mine read 77 feet... I had like 54 minutes of NDL he had 24 minutes.. Both computers seem to be working fine.. I am asking Oceanic if this is dangerous or expected?

the damn go-Pro video camera on my head was not pointing down far enough to show the values, but it did pick up some interesting audio.

Oceanic apparently does not use this forum to provide any kind of help to customers.. Unfortunate..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom