Rant !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divegoose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
First of all I would like to say that I have used Oceanic dive equipment for quite some time, and have been very happy with it. The only problems I have had was with my Pro Plus computer crapping out, and it was quickly replaced.

Several weeks ago, I managed to get a small puncture in my Excursion BC. My local dealer looked at it. As the bladder does not have an inner liner, it was determined that it could not be fixed, and a new bladder would be required.

My dealer checked with the distributor, trying to get a replacement bladder with 44 lbs of lift. The dealer was told that the only one that was available was in Hawaii, and would have to be shipped from there. All other bladders had 56 lbs of lift. The one in Hawaii would take 4 weeks to reach my local dealer from Hawaii.

About 8 weeks later, still no bladder. Having got tired of waiting, I asked my dealer to order the bladder with 56 lbs of lift (I really don't need that much). I was given a price, and was told that taxes and shipping would be added. :shocked2:

Having waited at least 8 weeks, with no explanation from the distributor on the delay, even after numerous follow up calls from my dealer, I am a little choked at having to pay shipping. The local dealer should not have to pay the shipping either. Personally I think this is a case where the company should eat the shipping charges, in the interest of good customer relations.

Just wondering what others think, or if I am way off base on this issue. :idk:

Fortunately I have been able to use one of my old BC's, and not miss any diving.

End of Rant

Divegoose

It seems to me that you are expecting too much. The hole is yours. I don't see why to cost to repair it should not be. I do understand why the mfgr will not repair the punctured bladder but don't really understand why you can not do that with a waterbed repair kit.

I'll agree with awap that the problem is yours and yours to fix (i.e. purchasing a new bladder). I'll also say that waiting 2 months (nearly 1/2 a dive season in NE) is ridiculous and would think it in Oceanic's interest to make the situation right - free shipping sounds reasonable to me.

Why should you not be expected to pay the shipping? You are trying to order a product to be shipped to you, this isn't a warranty return. Pay your taxes and shipping like the rest of the world.

I think free shipping is a "meet in the middle" deal for a dropped ball. This assumes the bladder wasn't tied up in customs and actually wasn't shipped within the 4 week quote. If I ordered something and was told 4 weeks, I'd be aggravated by week 5. By week 8, or double the amount of time, I'd be pissed and looking somewhere else for another product. Not much of a choice here, admittedly, since he can't use a ScubaPro (or insert manufacturer here) bladder in an Oceanic BCD.

You would think with what one of those costs you would get a spare bladder with it!

It seems to me that you are expecting too much. The hole is yours. I don't see why to cost to repair it should not be. I do understand why the mfgr will not repair the punctured bladder but don't really understand why you can not do that with a waterbed repair kit.

I am not debating the cost of replacing the bladder or fixing the hole. I am not sure how it happened, as I take really good care of my gear. When my dealer looked at it, he said the hole could not be fixed. I trust his judgement. However having to wait 8 weeks, and still no sign of the bladder I needed, and no one knowing where it is, I would have thought it would be reasonable for them to cover the cost of the shipping the only other one they seem to have in stock.

Divegoose

Sounds like your area rep for that company sucks at his/her job. Find a different brand BC you like an buy that.

Back
Top Bottom