Repair time for Oceanic DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrcandy

Registered
Reaction score
I upgraded from an Atom 2 to an Atom 3 a few years back and have generally been happy with the A3.

Some time back it started refusing to go into dive mode - from watch mode a long press on 'M' would result in the screen displaying "Err" and then going back to watch mode. Took it into the LDS and since it was more than two years old was told it would be an out of warranty repair. They said they would send it to the local distributor (I'm in Canada) for evaluation and get back to me.

A week later the LDS calls back and says "yep, it's broken, would I like to a swap for a refurb unit". I agree and head down to the store, only to find the refurb is an Atom2. I declined. A week later they call back with another refurb offer, and this time I find out the refurb is a Geo before going to the store in person. I declined.

Called them again today, it's now been 2.5 months since returning my Atom3, and was offered an OCS refurb. I declined.

Speaking with the LDS further, they say the distributor is unable to source any refurb Atom3's from Oceanic USA. I asked about sending my specific unit back to Oceanic for repair of that unit - that couldn't take more than 2 months? Their response was that they've done it before and it takes over a year!!

I don't believe the LDS is the problem, it's either the Canadian distributor or Oceanic USA. My money's on the distributor, but I'm asking about other's experience since that might point to Oceanic USA as the bottleneck.

Has anyone else had to repair an Atom3 recently? How long did it take, and was it a refurb or repair of the original unit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom