Atom 3.0 w/Transmitter Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1llyb00b

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an Atom 3.0 with a transmitter. I used it this morning on a dive and it worked fine. After my surface interval, it wouldn't show any air on the computer. I cancelled the dive and changed the battery in the transmitter. It still shows 000 psi in my tank! I know the tanks is full and my computer works fine. I checked the transmitter S/N, and it is correct on my computer. Anyone have ideas on how to get my transmitter working again?

It shows good for my computer and unavailable for my transmitter. I changed the battery in the transmitter after it quit working though.

This may be useless, and I apologize if it is. I use a VT3 and transmitter, a more primitive computer by Oceanic. What threw me off when I was starting out with it is that it didn't want to give me a transmitter signal unless the tank was pressurized. Since your issue occurred during your surface interval, is there any chance the tank valve was turned off and the transmitter, getting no pressure, wasn't broadcasting a signal?

I've not used an Atom 3. I'd be interested to know what the problem turns out to be.

Richard.

All Oceanic DC with AI use the same transmitter, and drrich2 is correct. The transmitter requires a tank pressure greater than 120 psi to wake up, and it will go to sleep when tank pressure falls below 50 psi.

If you have the transmitter mounted on a tank with more than 120 psi (valve is open?!) and Atom3 within 18" of transmitter then it looks like you may have a bad transmitter.

Only other long shots:
- check s/n is programmed correctly ( I know you said it worked earlier which would mean it was set correctly, but inadvertent changes?)
- check transmitter battery with a meter ( should be > 2.75v) in case your new battery is also dead
- remove battery from Atom3, wait a few seconds, and re-insert (reboot)

Thanks for the replies; I did verify that there was air in the tank. I tried again this morning, and still no dice. I guess I'll have to take it to my LDS and see if they can help. I might try rebooting my computer. On a different note, this incident made me aware of a few other issues. Three lessons that I learned in OW class were brought home: Plan your dive then dive your plan, don't give in to peer pressure, and have a damn backup. I'm really new to diving (29 dives now) and this was the first time I had to cancel a dive because of an equipment issue. My dive buddy is an experienced diver that hasn't been in the water for a while. We have dived together a few times now, and use air at almost the same rate. He suggested we dive and turn when he got to one third (rule of thirds). Of course I had to decline. Lastly, I bought me gear used from a friend, and was impressed with a two hose set up (second stage and LPI hoses). I have the transmitter and use an Air2 for an alternate second stage. I really thought this set up was great; I'll now use an analog SPG in addition to to AI (if I ever get it working again).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom