Oceanic Geo 2.0 - Variable Ascent Rate Indicator (VARI) bars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Npallasi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been using the Oceanic Geo 2.0 for about 3 months, 10 dives, and I like it very much. I have questions about the VARI bar on the Oceanic Geo 2.0 though.

For example: the last dive that I did was shallower than 30 ft (10m).

When I checked my dive history on my Geo 2.0 unit, all 5 units on the VARI bar were flashing. I interpreted this to mean that I ascended too fast.

When I checked my dive details after downloading data, it showed that the fastest ascent I did was 6.1-7.5m (21-25 fpm).

The Oceanic Geo 2.0 manual I found online says this about the VARI bars:

60 ft (18m) & shallower

Vari---------Ascent Rate-
Segment----FPM----MPM-
0----------- 0-10 -- 0-3
1---------- 11-15 -- 3.1-4.5
2---------- 16-20 -- 4.6-6
3---------- 21-25 -- 6.1-7.5
4---------- 26-30 -- 7.6-9
5---------- 30+ ---- 9+

Since the detailed dive data showed that my ascent rate reached 6.1-7.5 meters per hour, the VARI bar in the dive log on the dive computer should have shown only 3 bars, and not 5 flashing bars.

Furthermore, I did not hear any alarms from my dive comp.

I would like to know why my dive comp is showing 5 flashing VARI bars in the dive log on my Oceanic Geo 2.0.

My Geo 2.0 almost always shows 5 ascent bars in the log. It shows the highest ascent rate for the given dive - even if that ascent rate is only for a moment. I wouldn't worry too much about it, most likely the sampling rate is set too slow to catch the moment

Thanks. I sent an email to Oceanic US about the same problem. Will post the answer I get.

So I shouldn't be concerned about this? Hmm. Honestly I'd still prefer that the log in my dive comp and the downloaded data were more similar. Then at least I wouldn't keep wondering if I were a good candidate for decompression illness after sneaking a look at my dive comp between dives.

The downloaded dive data is based on the momentary sample rate. You likely ascended too fast between the time the computer recorded your current dive condition. The ascent rate monitor is nearly instantaneous and doesn't wait until the computer takes it's sample. It would be very hard to use use an ascent rate monitor if you had to wait for the computer to sample/record the data.

What do you have your sample rate set at right now? I think your choices are 2, 15, 30 or 60 seconds. You will use more memory, but you can change it to 2 seconds and see if that helps.

Sorry, I know my terminology is probably not right, but hopefully you got the idea.. Slower than 30 fpm is REALLY slow, until you get used to it!

Roatan Joe, I understood you and have set my Geo 2.0 Tissue Sampling Rate to 2 seconds. It was at 15 seconds.

Now it seems that I might have ascended too fast at one point. I did not hear my dive comp beeping. Should I be worried about that too?

I will dive with it next month, and hope that the data and dive comp log are in sync with each other.

I've done 85 dives with my Geo, all of them show 5 bars on the ascent, I always do slow ascents. I also have about 60 dives on my suunto with I think 1 ascent violation (20 or so dives with both computers). I think there is something wonky with the ascent monitor on the geo. And I also don't get flashing or audible warnings.

Roatan Joe, I understood you and have set my Geo 2.0 Tissue Sampling Rate to 2 seconds. It was at 15 seconds.

Be aware that at that short an interval, you won't be able to store as many dives in the memory, so be sure to download them as soon as you can.

I have a Geo 2 and it always shows 5 bars. One good kick from 80ft to 75ft and 5 bars will pop up because my speed was so fast even though there is minimal change in pressure at those depth and I am not "ascending".

Huh. So its not just me!

So now I get that it might be REALLY sensitive and/or wonky. In any case I shall test it with the new settings while being careful with ascent rates.

Hawkwood, thanks for the advice. Will download my dives asap.

Edit: spelling

Now it seems that I might have ascended too fast at one point. I did not hear my dive comp beeping. Should I be worried about that too?

I will dive with it next month, and hope that the data and dive comp log are in sync with each other.

In my opinion, there's no real need to change the sampling rate to try and capture insignificant momentary "rapid ascents". As long as you are not actually ascending rapidly you are fine - whether the dive log captures it or not. Raising your arm too fast is enough to trigger the "5 bars" even if you don't actually ascend at all.

Regarding not hearing the computer beep, I find it very hard to hear when not wearing a hood and impossible when I am. Don't rely on a beep to tell you when there's a "problem"

Back
Top Bottom