Oceanic Excursion II BCD - Design Issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericdube

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with an issue I have with my Oceanic Excursion II BCD that I recently purchased. The top tank strap appears to be sewn on backwards on the BCD I have (buckle is on the inside of the strap and rubs against the tank neck.) [See the first two pictures] While I love this BCD, it seems completely wrong to me and doesn't allow the top strap to be adjusted once you have it over the tank neck (nor does it make good contact with the tank.)

I tried contacting Oceanic about the problem, but they've been less than responsive and only provided a cryptic message that they're all like that so it's by design. Except the problem with that statement is that they're *not* all like that [see the third picture]. I've looked at 3 of their other BCD's and the buckle is *always* on the outside like all the other brands I've looked at and used in the past (including Scuba Pro, Cressi, AquaLung, etc.) So I'm utterly bewildered why they don't want to fix this - cost-wise this should be next to nothing for them to address (which leaves me wondering if they actually stand behind their product warranty?)

Honestly, I hate making posts like this, but not sure what else to do? I'm hoping someone from Oceanic will see this message and help out. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 115
  • oceanic.jpg
    oceanic.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 108
Checked mine and it is the same way. Doesn't really matter, I never use it and it is tucked behind one of the trim pockets. Have over 100 dives in mine and it has never been an issue.

Checked mine and it is the same way. Doesn't really matter, I never use it and it is tucked behind one of the trim pockets. Have over 100 dives in mine and it has never been an issue.

Thanks for checking as I really appreciate it!

What's strange though is that they don't all seem to be the same way from Oceanic (see the 3rd photo.) It almost seems like they might have made a mistake with the design, and they're just selling it as is (or perhaps more so that they don't want to admit to it.)

I'm thinking at this point that I just need to bite the bullet and just pay someone local to repair it. Disappointing, but will probably be less hassle at the end of the day then trying to get this fixed under warranty.

See how much it will cost, but in my mind it isn't worth fixing. The cam band (and your entire regulator set up) is the only thing that matters in terms of holding the tank. If that strap is for anything it is to hold the BC on a valve or hook (most likely while switching tanks, i guess), which it can do in its current state. Regardless, I have done over 100 on mine with boat, shore, quarry and didn't even notice it was missing. If you really want to get it fixed go ahead, but maybe try diving a bunch and see if you even miss it. Oceanic is pretty good about warranties, the reason you have a weird response from them is that everyone is probably asking "What the hell is this strap for?"..if it was a busted inflator or a tear on something you would get a much better response.

Can't you just re-thread it thru the buckle if you cut the end off first (as seen in picture 2)? Or maybe you can feed it thru intact?

Of course then it may fray but if you have a shoe repair shop nearby they can sew it closed again.

I might be looking at it wrong but looks like you should give it a half twist when you put it over the valve and the buckle will be up.

Thanks for checking as I really appreciate it!

What's strange though is that they don't all seem to be the same way from Oceanic (see the 3rd photo.) It almost seems like they might have made a mistake with the design, and they're just selling it as is (or perhaps more so that they don't want to admit to it.)

I'm thinking at this point that I just need to bite the bullet and just pay someone local to repair it. Disappointing, but will probably be less hassle at the end of the day then trying to get this fixed under warranty.

It takes less than a minute to fix it. Unscrew the phillips head screw behind the back pad at the top. Then pull the tank plate slightly away from the BCD and twist the strap into the correct orientation behind the tank plate. Then re-tighten the phillips head screw while keeping the twisted strap hidden behind the tank plate. Nobody will ever know the strap is twisted behind the tank plate and it shouldn't adversely effect performace of the BCD in any way.

The only thing I use that strap for is to quickly set the BCD at the correct height on the tank during setup. There isn't any substantial pressure needed on that strap and many people cut it off or simply don't use it for it's intended purpose anyway.

It takes less than a minute to fix it. Unscrew the phillips head screw behind the back pad at the top. Then pull the tank plate slightly away from the BCD and twist the strap into the correct orientation behind the tank plate. Then re-tighten the phillips head screw while keeping the twisted strap hidden behind the tank plate. Nobody will ever know the strap is twisted behind the tank plate and it shouldn't adversely effect performace of the BCD in any way.

The only thing I use that strap for is to quickly set the BCD at the correct height on the tank during setup. There isn't any substantial pressure needed on that strap and many people cut it off or simply don't use it for it's intended purpose anyway.

I had thought of doing it, but I wasn't sure if it would just come undone though. I'll give it a try when I get home.

As you mentioned, I primarily use it for aligning the BCD height to the tank. Since I dive drysuit, I usually end up with a bunch of weight in the BCD (to distribute better) so it's very helpful for keeping the BCD in place before I tighten down the tank strap (so it's definitely more of a convenience factor to have it there.)

Thanks!

Hello.ericdube: It seems likely that the buckle-side strap is sewn inverted for a purpose. Perhaps to make accidental loosening unlikely? My Excursion II, purchased last year, also has a reversed buckle.

Hello.ericdube: It seems likely that the buckle-side strap is sewn inverted for a purpose. Perhaps to make accidental loosening unlikely? My Excursion II, purchased last year, also has a reversed buckle.

It's possible, but all their other BCDs have the buckle on the outside (it's just the Excursion that has it on the inside as far as I can tell.) I've since swapped mine to the outside, and it functions much better while lining up the tank to mount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom