Is old Geo (1.0) safe without firmware upgrade? Oceanic, are you out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GratefulDiver11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A LDS recently sold me an original Geo (pre-2.0). I bought it as a back-up computer and didn't realize until too late that it was the old model (and actually built in October 2006 based on the date next to the serial number). Yes, shame on me for not noticing when making the purchase. In my defense, it wasn't discounted and was being sold next to a Geo 2.0 model for the same price, and I bought solely on color. The dive store didn't mislead me by stating that is was the Geo 2.0, so I technically have no argument for returning it. So, what's my question? I've subsequently read about lots of (potentially dangerous) issues with the original Geo, but I haven't seen any actual recalls or notices for mandatory firmware updates. Then again the original Geo seems to have been taken off the market many years ago and in a big hurry. (Lots of stories about people mail ordering the original Geo and receiving the Geo 2.0 instead.) Is this computer safe to use in its original 2006 condition? I'm hoping someone who represents Oceanic or knows a lot about Oceanic products will answer. My emails and webpage form inquiries have gone unanswered. TIA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom