VEO left out in the cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave711

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I accidentally left my VEO 3.0 out overnight in the cold. It looks like some water must have froze inside it because there was a wacky dive profile the next day. The computer turns on. Do you think any thing could be severely damaged? My thought was that if it was badly broken from freezing, that the electronics also would be messed up.

Did you check your battery?

the electronics will be okay. the pressure sensor may not?

the actual computer is just a bunch of wires and stuff and could care less about the cold. they could stop working properly if it gets too cold. the liquid crystal display (i assume it has one) will actually freeze and stop working, but it will thaw out just fine.

for general electronics the only issue with freezing is that any moisture present in the air will condense on surfaces and turn to conductive frost. let it warm up slowly to room temp and the electronics will be fine.

not sure about the pressure sensor. is it exposed directly to outside water? if so, it may have had some water on it that frooze to ice and expanded. this could be a potential for damage. some computers are oil filled with the pessire sensor inside and not exposed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom