Horrendous Oceanic Support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm trying to stay positive, but this is trying my patience!

In April of this year, my Oceanic transmitter (less than a year old) started giving me problems. It would quite suddenly cut out, or start giving false readings. I can get it to work or fail consistently by tapping on it, or putting some slight twisting pressure on the transmitter itself. So, in May of this year, I sent it in to my LDS to be sent to Oceanic for repair. Three, yes 3, months later, I get the thing back in a plastic ziplock bag and was told there was nothing wrong. Three months for them to plug it in and find no fault. Regardless of a fault or not, 3 months is unacceptable.

Fine, stay positive! Perhaps they just didn't understand the problem. Here's a video of the fault, which I have sent them in a followup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WlavWFamJg

Would you attribute this problem to the transmitter or the computer? They now want me to send in the transmitter AND my OCi for another look. On top of that, they won't give me a turnaround time. Really? Oceanic now wants me to send in my computer (something I use as an instructor everyday), after the video proof of a transmitter fault. First, if you keep my transmitter for 3 months the first time around and are now unwilling to provide an ETA for the second round of 'service', would you expect anyone to send in a primary piece of equipment? Secondly, do you really think the computer is at fault after seeing that video?

It's been a long day and I'm admittedly tired. I've been working through my LDS so far, but I'm going to contact Oceanic and see what they have to say
directly to me. I value the features and benefits of Oceanic products highly, which is why I've spend considerable money on their products. However, what I value equally if not more is support when things go wrong after the sale. If you don't support your product after sales, it's no good to me.

Like I said, I'll give them one more shot with a direct line of communication rather than through my LDS. If that still doesn't work, my only option is to eat the cost of the transmitter, and advise against buying Oceanic due to after sales service and support. Sorry, but like I said, I value service and support as much as I value the features of a product. As an instructor in a SCUBA destination certifying tens of thousands of new dive students and professionals every year, I'm suppose to give honest and useful equipment advice. Oceanic is now close to dropping into my 'do not buy' category.

:(

Welcome to ScubaBoard... great introductory post!

Can we surmise that everything else has been A-OK in the seven years since you joined?

:D

Don't mean to call out your LDS but could they have sat on it a while? I get pretty quick response from Oceanic when I send things in. Ask for Ron and explain to him that you are an instructor and can't be without it very long.

I had several issues with oceanic equipment and my LDS. Had me soured on Oceanic until I called them directly. Hopefully when you call them directly you can change the subject to wonderful oceanic support!

Had an Oceanic BUD fail. I sent it in to Oceanic and they sent me a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom