E-520

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmchugh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone shot with the E-520 in the Oly housing yet. I'm thinking of upgrading from my Sea Life Camera and was considering this camera. I just don't want to get another camera that I will outgrow as my skills improve. I have a YS110 and YS110a with arms that I will be using with it.

Thanks,
Brian

Haven't shot an E-520, but I think if you're upgrading from a SeaLife you have a LOT of room to grow. I wouldn't necessarily just consider the Oly housing, though, as there are other housings out there that might also give you some flexibility. The Oly housing as I understand it has 5 ports, which I think alone would give you LOTS of room to grow and improve your skill set, but the thing I find most limiting is the strobe bulkhead, which appears to be limited to the Olympus UFL strobe. The Ikelite housing on the other hand gives you a bit more flexibility there, with special sync cords that will allow you to use your YS-110... Possibly not in true TTL mode, but you may need to talk to the Ike experts on that. For me, I mostly shoot manual anyway, and fortunately the YS-110 gives you plenty of settings to do that with.

The best method of connecting these strobes is with a f/o cable. You will get TTL, but just not be able to control it from the camera like you can with the UFL-2.

Jack

Actually there's no limit to the options even with the Olympus OEM housing. First off the housing has built in Sea&Sea type fiber optic connections. You also have the option of buying a Matthew Heinrichs bulkhead or Athena cable that will allow connection of the 110 strobes for hardwired ttl. Just 1 final note, Olympus may only make 5 ports for the housing but Athena, Inon and Nexus also make ports designed for the Olympus housing. As far as out-growing the 520, I've been diving with a DSLR (E410) and now E520 for over a year. I've yet to find a limitation of the camera..just the cameraman.

Thanks a lot. That is just the info I was looking for. I've looked at Heinrichs site and they don't list the 520 as supported yet. Do you get full ttl with yours?

I use Inon Z240 strobes with fiber optics...the s-ttl works fantastic.

I use Inon Z240 strobes with fiber optics...the s-ttl works fantastic.

Hi, I'm going to change my sp350/z240 (TTL mode w/Heinrichs conv.) with an E520/PTE-05.
Heinrichs answered me that (for the moment) they have no idea about a bulkhead for PTE-05, so I will use a FO connection in sTTL.
Can you suggest me the right INON FO cable, I mean the right one to connect to the housing.
Because for what I've seen, Olympus has arranged in the housing two appropriate ports for FO connectors, so I think that I need the right plug at the end of the cable.
Thank you.
Marco

Hey Marco,
two options. Olympus actually has two ports that fit a Sea&Sea style of connection. I ordered the Inon D cable through "???????? FUN-IN Underwater Photo Equipment" and emailed Joe Chang. He added $16 and threw in 2 Sea&Sea adapters that I put on the end of the D cable. The other option is Olympus has two rubber plugs which come with the housing that fit into the housing fiber ports. These should have a hole in them that allows you to just slide the unterminated end into the plug and then put it in the housing fiber port. If I were starting with the new housing, I'd do the latter.

Santiago,
I learned about the additional ports just a few weeks back. The ikelite housing is never a bad way to go. Not only a new port system which allows for cheaper ports, you also get Ikelite quality. The Olympus OEM housing will only go to 40M, while the Ikelite is rated to 200ft. If you're a wreck diver you'd have to take that into consideration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom