I finally killed my 5050 -- now what should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdwho

Contributor
Reaction score
On my last trip I flooded my housing and killed my 5050. When I bought the 5050, it was THE Oly of choice for many here at ScubaBoard. Its been a few years and I'm not up on what is the current Oly of choice, if there is one. I'm giving myself a new set up (camera, housing, lights) for the holidays, so any advice on what is the Oly to get (if there is such a thing like there used to be) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The 5050 was a classic. Unfortunately, the newer Oly point & shoots aren't comparable. If I were you, I would look at the Canon G10 as a possible replacement. On the other hand, if you are thinking about upgrading to a dslr and have lots of $$$$, wait for the E-30!

I flooded mine and bought another on e-bayfor under $200. The flooded housing isn't a problem if you rinsed it and cleaned it up. I did and everything is orking just fine.

If you want to stay with a compact camera then I agree with jlyle, that the Canon G-10 or the G-9 are probably the best choices now. The G-10 has a 28mm equivalent at its widest angle.

If you want to graduate to a DSLR then Oly's E-520 or E-420 would be good ones to consider. Compact, live view and an Oly housing for the E-520.

Even higher on the expense chain might be the Nikon D-90. It will take HD video as well as still photos.

A few websites for your research:

Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource!

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Wetpixel.com :: Underwater Photography and Videography

Digital Diver Network - Your source for digital underwater photography information!

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

Helix Camera and Video

Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Thanks for the tips. One question about these other options, compared to getting a used 5050. I loved the 5050, but I always felt that its one drawback was its "delay" -- I ended up taking a lot of pictures of fish butts. Are newer digital point and shoot cameras better in terms of the delay?

Yes, shutter lag (due to the time that autofocus takes) has decreased a lot since the introduction of the c5050.

If I were you, I would look at the Canon G10 as a possible replacement.

I too am in the market for a new underwater camera (after four years), so I ran a few searches.
Street prices for the camera run under 40,000 yen (under US$400); for the housing, 19,000 yen.

Alas, CANON???? WP-DC11 ??????????????????????? - Yahoo!??????, one of top hits for the Canon WP DC11 underwater housing comes with an ominous warning: Using the built-in flash leaves part of the field dark. Those without an external strobe (or two) might be disappointed.

The 5050 was a classic. Unfortunately, the newer Oly point & shoots aren't comparable. If I were you, I would look at the Canon G10 as a possible replacement.
That's just what I was going to suggest as well. Either that or one of the few/new DSLRs with a live preview. Nikon D90 comes to mind as well as the OLY offerings.

Only a DSLR will totally eliminate shutter lag.

The 5050 is in a dead line of cameras, the "prosumers". Enough features to satisfy a professional and still operate as a very good point and shoot. The main feature of the 5050 was the ability to control the white balance and I don't know if any of the compacts allow custom white balance. I shoot a 5060 and love it. If I flood my housing, knock on wood, Ebay would be my choice rather than go to the expense and time to learn a new camera.

BTW, Gert has an excellent list of links. DPreview is tops and B&H is where I like to shop.

I too am in the market for a new underwater camera....
Street prices for the camera run under 40,000 yen (under US$400);....

The very same day, I checked out the G10 at my neighborhood electronics supermarket.
Very nice feel, but the interface will take some getting used to.
The ISO dial on top seems cheapÍÊ.e., soon broken.

I've saved the best for last: Their price was 30% under the best price from the on-line site quoted above.

Back
Top Bottom