sp-350 settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wannabedivin

Registered
Reaction score
I am just starting to use my SP-350 underwater. For use a point and shoot, what would be the general setting for pictures in the PNW where everything requires a flash. I be using AP, SP full automatic, full manual? I am trying to cut down on the learning curve. Thanks

Are you using a strobe or built in flash?

I just read through the 350 forum above and still have some questions. I dive in the PNW where every photo needs a flash. I am using the onboard flash. What would be a good all around setting for shooting as a beginner?

As a seattle diver myself, and used to cold dark murky green water, shoot most of your stuff in Macro and get close, closer, and CLOSER.

I shoot soley in manual mode,

and you can't beat practice practice practice.........reading the web, or reading a manual doesn't help much till you're wet and 40 foot deep and trying it.

Don't forget your manual white balance, no "not every photo needs a flash" even though yeah I typically strobe every shot.

So, shoot in manual mode, ISO of 200 or 400, shutter of 1/125 and F-4 or F8 depending on distance and viz.

I am now diving in new Zealand where the viz is not as great as in the tropics. initially i used preset or my mode,but now i switched to manual mode cause some shots i need to mock around with the iso,aperture,etc.

I am now diving in new Zealand where the viz is not as great as in the tropics. initially i used preset or my mode,but now i switched to manual mode cause some shots i need to mock around with the iso,aperture,etc.

You can still make adjustments in MyMode. You set your presets where you want them, then use the scroll buttons (up/down, left/right) to adjust aperture and shutter speed. I set most of my MyModes in manual, then adjust if needed for a particular shot.

In tropical water, you can get away with built in flash, I haven't had much luck in green water. When I used the camera in the preset UW modes, it set the shutter too slow every time. I ended up with blurry pictures and backscatter. I invested in a strobe early, and regretted not buying a higher quality one initially. Eventually, you'll go through a couple of cheap ones before you end up buying one that works for twice what you spent for the camera and housing combined. I recommend doing it straight off. It's cheaper in the long run and you'll start taking better pictures instantly.

I used Double strobes of an old sean and sea manual strobes, ys 50ms. good thing the camera can do no pre-flashes (if put into slave mode) so i can use slave strobes.

I don't used u/w mode anymore cause it can't do raw shots.

Go ahead and learn to use full manual and if the camera has it, learn to use the histogram function at the same time. It's not that difficult and your photos will be much better than if you use any of the auto functions. Set up a "reef" on land and spend some time shooting it to learn how to use the camera and get a feel for what each setting does. While UW practice is important, you can learn a lot more in a shorter time by simulanting UW conditions on land. It's much easier to shoot and review your work and take notes when you don't have to deal with scuba gear or keep up with your buddy. Early evening when the sun is low on the horizon simulates UW lighting conditions fairly well. Here is a thread that may help. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/214500-help-manual-camera-settings.html

Back
Top Bottom