Oly E-520 + INON Z-240 TTL configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BONCO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,
to shoot in TTL, anybody can suggest me both configurations, camera (Olympus E-520) and strobe (INON Z-240).
The connection is made by Heinrichs Weikamp Oly TTL converter.
Thank you very much.

I have used this combo, E-520, Olympus PT-E05 housing and Z-240 strobes in S-TTL with fiber optic cords and no need for the TTL-converter.

Phil Rudin

I have used this combo, E-520, Olympus PT-E05 housing and Z-240 strobes in S-TTL with fiber optic cords and no need for the TTL-converter.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil,
I know that it can be used in this way, but I don't have the FO cord.
I only have the converter and the 5 pin sync cord from my old equipment (Oly SP-350).
So I'd like to use these things, without buying something else.
I can imagine that the strobe configuration is the same, but I'm not so sure about the E-520 configuration (purchased 2 days ago)

I doubt it's compatible, at least with TTL. You would need a hotshoe to bulkhead cord anyway and the one from your 350 isn't the right thing. A F/O cord isn't that expensive.

Jack

I doubt it's compatible, at least with TTL. You would need a hotshoe to bulkhead cord anyway and the one from your 350 isn't the right thing. A F/O cord isn't that expensive.

Jack

Hi Jack,
thank you, I will send an e-mail to Heinrichs Weikamp about compatibility.
Reguarding the F/O cord, the only shop in my city who sell this kind of things ask 40 Euro (not so expensive but not even so cheap).

Jack

Hi Jack,
I've just received the answer from Mattihas Heinrichs about the doubt:

Da: Matthias Heinrichs [mailto:matthias.heinrichs@heinrichsweikamp.com]
Inviato: sabato 7 marzo 2009 15.31
A: bonco
Oggetto: Re: Info request

Hello Marco,
It's true - with a converter older then two years you'd need a new converter for the E-Series. But your's fine. You have the latest firmware.
regards,
Matthias

bonco schrieb:

GREAT !!
Thank you very much Matthias.
I've seen in your website that the bulkhead was OK, bat I was scared for the converter, because your list talk about a OEM Olympus E-series instead Digital Adapter OEM / Olympus C-series as in the SP350.
So I thought that I needed another kind of converter.
Thank you very much again.
Bye
Marco

Da: Matthias Heinrichs [mailto:matthias.heinrichs@heinrichsweikamp.com]
Inviato: sabato 7 marzo 2009 14.48
A: bonco
Oggetto: Re: Info request
Hello Marco,
Yes, you can reuse the converter and bulkhead for the new housing and camera.
Regards,
Matthias

i2bonco schrieb:
Hello,
I've seen in your website that you added the Olympus E-520 to the list of compatible cameras, but from Olympus SP350 there are some difference.
So I'm going to porpoise you my old question (see the mail below).
I bought from you an Olympus TTL converter, with an OLY-PT-N2 bulkheads to use with the Olympus SP350 in PT-E030 housing in TTL mode, with the INON Z-240 strobe.
Now I've purchased an Olympus E-520 with the original housing PT-E05.
Can I use my equipment for SP350 (converter and bulkhead) with my new E-520/PTE-05 to shoot in TTL?
Thank you very much
Regards
Marco

Now we can return to the original question! :)

Last edited:
I use the E-520 set in manual mode and ISO 100 most of the time. In macro I use the fastest shutter speed most of the time and F/11 to F/22 with the 50 and 35 mm macro lenses. With the 14 to 42 lens I have used a range of shutter speeds depending on if I am at the wide end of the lens or the narrow end of the lens.

The strobe is set to S-TTL and the right dial is set to at 2.8 for macro close-up and in manual for most wide angle from about 45 cm or more. Set the right dial to 5.6 at 1/125 sec. and then adjust for subject distance.

Phil Rudin

What I'm saying is that the hotshoe connector may not work. It's easy enough to try it and see. But usually you'd need the Oly hotshoe to bulkead connection, or maybe one from Mathaias.

I still think you adding complications to a very simple system.

Jack

I use the E-520 set in manual mode and ISO 100 most of the time. In macro I use the fastest shutter speed most of the time and F/11 to F/22 with the 50 and 35 mm macro lenses. With the 14 to 42 lens I have used a range of shutter speeds depending on if I am at the wide end of the lens or the narrow end of the lens.

The strobe is set to S-TTL and the right dial is set to at 2.8 for macro close-up and in manual for most wide angle from about 45 cm or more. Set the right dial to 5.6 at 1/125 sec. and then adjust for subject distance.

Phil Rudin

Thank you Phil,
one more question, is it necessary to set something in the camera menu, to drive only the external strobe, avoiding the use of the internal.

I still think you adding complications to a very simple system.

Jack

Probably you have right Jack, but next week I will leave destination Red Sea and I have no time to purchase an INON f/o cord. In the shop I told you in this moment, they have only a cable that needs a delicate adaptation work, to fit the f/o in the cap of the photocell.
Anyway, I think I will order one of this cable before my next trip, it could be also a good alternative in case of problems with the converter.
Thank you again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom