Anyone tried the Zuiko 9-18 in the Athena 100mm (small) dome port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Onewolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As the subject suggests, I was wondering if anyone has actually used the Olympus 9-18 WA with the 'new' Athena 100mm dome port? I've seen lots of references to the potential 'goodness' of this combination so I am curious whether anyone is already using this combo and what they think of the results?

Thanks for any/all information.

Doug

Doug,

Mine will arrive nxt week; I'll go testing it in the Red Sea in the first 2 weeks of September.

Can't wait!!!

I have been using the 9 to 18 zoom during a two month period with the E-620/PT-E06 combo and I have been getting quite nice results. I am however using the 170 mm Olympus/Athena dome.

While this dome is more expensive it can also be used with the 8 mm fisheye, plus the 7-14, 11-22, 12-60, 14-54 and more with the proper extensions.

Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin Bio

I have this combination and like it but have not had a lot of opportunity to use it due to the local conditions here in San Diego. See the link below from my first dive with the lens and port combination. I also used in on my recent trip to the Loreto (sea of cortez) but conditions were not optimal for wide angle, I had better luck with my 14-54 in the flat port for the versatility. I hope to get more opportunities and practice with the lens combo.

Brian

La Jolla Cove 5-31-09 pictures by bmchugh_photo - Photobucket

A few shots with the 9 to 18 zoom using the Olympus/Athena 170 mm dome port, all at 9 mm.

Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin Bio

Attachments

• -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 143
  • -3.jpg
    -3.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 161
  • -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 154
  • jpg-7-1.jpg
    jpg-7-1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 137
Funny thing...while in a pool I fit the 9-18 inside the standard PT-E05 flat port and I used the zoom gear for the 14-42. I was amazed that it worked with no vignetting. Now its not going to give you the best picture through a flat port, but I was amazed nonetheless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom