Question - SP-350 UW Housing bottom weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamgb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone:

Got my SP-350 UW housing late last week and am getting everything ready for my trip on the Nekton Pilot May 23rd.

I have read the manual for the housing and read extensively on the Oly Outlet board but still have 1 question that I can't figure out. I'm sure it has been answered but I can't find it.

The balance weight that comes unattached and is to be screwed to the bottom of the housing - the manual makes reference to tripod when they talk about this weight. Does this balance weight have to be screwed onto the bottom of the housing even though I have no tripod?

This is the only thing about this housing that has me confused. If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The bottom weight is threaded into the tripod mounting hole on the bottom of the housing. It is up to you if you need it or not. I've never used mine because I have my camera on a tray with a strobe. Try it with and without, and see how the camera balances for you.

When not using strobe, I find the balance weight (attached to the 'tripod' hole) makes my camera more stable and reduces the positive buoyancy of the unit.

I agree with Andy. If you're not using a tray and strobe you will want to use the weight to reduce the positive buoyancy of the camera housing.

You can always remove it if you don't like it, but I found the rig far to positively buoyant without it when I tried it the first time.

Wally

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom