Beginner needs advice - Olympus Stylus 770 SW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrp7480

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I am very new at the whole underwater photography thing, so please bear with me. About 2 years ago, I purchased the Olympus Stylus 770 SW, since it promised to be such a cool all-around digital camera. I bought the PT-035 underwater housing, and have had no problems with it so far. It's been to Jamaica, Cozumel, and Catalina. But, I want more out of it. I've seen the more experienced divers with these big camera rigs, and I'm wondering what I can do to make mine better.

I've looked at the UFL-1, and am guessing that would help make a difference, but will it?

Do I need some kind of extra lens to add onto the outside of the housing?

Are there other things I can add to my little underwater housing?

Are there any settings that I can change on the camera itself, outside of the standard underwater mode, that will help reduce back scatter, blurry pictures, and the blue photos?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

p.s. if anyone has lodging, dining, nightlife, and dive recommendations for Belize, those are appreciated as well! Leaving for Ambergris Caye in 2 weeks...

My, this sounds familiar.

I upgraded my 770sw about two years ago with an underwater housing and a UFL-1 which I mounted directly on the hot shoe of the housing. That was a big help in reducing the extreme blueness of the photos. Backscatter did not improve. I did notice that I needed to run the UFL-1 at half power to avoid the newly added washed out effect.

Next, I added two arms of Ultralight Control Systems arms and another UFL-1, along with a focus light. This clearly upped the cost and size of the system. Yes, it now looks like the big monster rigs; however, backscatter is reduced. Overexposed wash out is minimized. Shutter responds faster (due to the focus light). The downsides are: added cost and size.

As for better pictures, my advice is pretty simple. Get closer to what you are taking pictures of and avoid shooting "down" on the subject. When you take a picture, squeeze the shutter button gently. Backscatter is a function of stuff in the water and the angle the flash is relative to the lens. Blurry pictures is a function of camera movement and shutter speed. Blue photos is a function of distance between the camera and the subject.

I hope this helps.

I have that camera among several, I got the Inon AD adapter, Inon tray and arm set, Inon D2000 strobe and the Inon 165AD fish eye lens and it takes excellent snaps. I have been pleased with it. I prefer my little Canon A570s or my secret XXXXXX but I enjoy shooting the oly just by itself or with the Inon accesories.

I recommend this:

Inon UFL-165AD Underwater Fisheye Conversion Lens [ino.192] - $369.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

or:

Inon UWL-105AD Wide Angle Lens [ino.175] - $259.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

used with this:

Inon AD Mount Base for Olympus PT-033/35 (Stylus 720SW & 770SW) [ino.323] - $61.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

and:

Inon Optical D Cable (L Type)/Cap W42 Set for Olympus PT-033, 035 & 41 [ino.390] - $89.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

and:

Inon S-2000 S-TTL Strobe [ino.417] - $449.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

and:

Inon Grip Base D4 [ino.d4.base] - $84.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Reef can advise you on the exact requirements. The 35 mm lens of the 770SW works better with the wet lenses than the newer 1030 etc that went to a 28 mm and require either a 28AD mount and still have vignetting. The 770SW can shoot some cool stuff with the fisheye lens.

B0005038_edited-1.jpg

B0005056.jpg

B0004924_edited-1.jpg

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom