Advice on upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhuskins

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's time for me to upgrade my camera. I have upgraded my dive skills (will be a divemaster after this weekend with considerably better buoyancy control) and now want to upgrade my camera as well.

I have been shooting with the 770sw for a couple years now. A few dive trips ago, I added Ultralight Control arms as a first step in an overall upgrade. I will be ordering a pair of Inon Z-240 strobes soon.

My question is: What is a good camera upgrade for someone who wants more from a camera, but doesn't want to dive with his E-3. Is there a good intermediate level camera?

I am looking mostly for wide angle work as opposed to macro work, but will be doing both. I don't have I want a faster response from the shutter. I would be happy with a camera that has control white balance and shoots RAW. Lastly, I still want it to be small and easy to operate.

Any suggestions?

It's time for me to upgrade my camera. I have upgraded my dive skills (will be a divemaster after this weekend with considerably better buoyancy control) and now want to upgrade my camera as well.

I have been shooting with the 770sw for a couple years now. A few dive trips ago, I added Ultralight Control arms as a first step in an overall upgrade. I will be ordering a pair of Inon Z-240 strobes soon.

My question is: What is a good camera upgrade for someone who wants more from a camera, but doesn't want to dive with his E-3. Is there a good intermediate level camera?

I am looking mostly for wide angle work as opposed to macro work, but will be doing both. I don't have I want a faster response from the shutter. I would be happy with a camera that has control white balance and shoots RAW. Lastly, I still want it to be small and easy to operate.

Any suggestions?
take a look to the SP-560 with PT-037. It has 27mm fro wide angle (yes it is not fish eye but not bad for compact) it also has macro and supermacro mode (10cm focusing and 1cm focusing). It also has RAW but with quite slow writing speed in RAW (H type card aprox 15-20sec).

Disadvanteges are:
1. It is not so smal like your 770sw
2. This camera is discontinued, but I bought new box last month so it is possible to find new one to by.
3. There is no hot shoe for strobe (only fiber optic sync). But it hase RC control for external strobe Could say nothing about this becous haven't tryed it yet, maybe some one could suggest about it does it realy works?

PS. sorry for my english

Cost v. quality it will be hard to beat the E-520/Pt-E05 or the new E-620/PT-E06 combos. I have used both and the image is outstanding.

My prime system is the E-3 in a SeaTool housing with the Inon 45 degree view finder.

You can read my review of the E-520/PT-E05 combo at the following links,

http://www.underwaterjournal.com/issues/UWJ-issue11.pdf

Olympus E-520 and PT-E05 Housing - FourThirdsPhoto - News and Articles

Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin Bio

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom