Olympus E520 flash pre flash issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Scubaboarders,

I am using the E520 in an PTE-05 housing combined with a S&S YS110 strobe. Because I am using a fibre optical cord, I have to use the camera's internal flash. So far no problem....

Because I want to shoot in low light conditions and merky waters (that's Holland...) in manual mode, the camera often sends out bursts of pre flashes, that make my external strobe fire too. It takes a few seconds to reload again, but that often makes me miss my shot.

Can anybody tell me how to cancel this pre flash bursts? (it's not the one pre flash, that I can adapt my external flash to, but the stroboscope type of burst)

Thanks in advance!

Mantha

Hi Scubaboarders,

I am using the E520 in an PTE-05 housing combined with a S&S YS110 strobe. Because I am using a fibre optical cord, I have to use the camera's internal flash. So far no problem....

Because I want to shoot in low light conditions and merky waters (that's Holland...) in manual mode, the camera often sends out bursts of pre flashes, that make my external strobe fire too. It takes a few seconds to reload again, but that often makes me miss my shot.

Can anybody tell me how to cancel this pre flash bursts? (it's not the one pre flash, that I can adapt my external flash to, but the stroboscope type of burst)

Thanks in advance!

Mantha
Hi I have E520 and use all manual in flash. I set my flash to 1/64th cant remember changing anything to tell it not to preflash so I assume that this is all manual. You will find 1/64 is enough to fire a flash.

Sounds like your camera may have auto focus assist turned on, this may also be the issue.

I have the same set up, you need to turn off the flash focus assist and get a decent focus light. I dive in CA and we have the same problem here with murky water.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom