Stylus Tough 8000 - Strobe Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orionnt

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently picked up a Stylus Tough 8000 and PT-045 Housing to replace my old canon, and I was looking into getting a Strobe for my camera. When it comes to photography im pretty much a total noob. I don't think I really need a big expensive top of the line strobe, but it would be nice to have a good strobe to help eliminate some back scatter and produce more colorful pictures.

The diving around here is generally low-viz (20ft max), minimal current, and lots of sediment in the water.

I have been looking at the Fantasea Remora strobe, but I am not sure what a good setup would be. I have a limit of about $300 max.

Any Suggestions?

I have a bunch of lighting packages that will work great with your camera.

The new Remora looks to be fairly good, but it's going to be hard to hit your $300 mark as you'll need a sync cord, tray and arms. You could with this package, upgrade the strobe and sync cord. A focus light in your conditions is just about mandatory.

I sell quite a few of the UltraMax packages; this one is good but is about $400.

As far as strobe info, you can check out this blog article on strobes;
Optical Ocean: Above and Below.: Choosing an Underwater Strobe for Point & Shoot Cameras

The Ultramax is a good value for a starter strobe. It does have a fairly narrow 60 degree beam angle, Guide number (power) of 18. 4 steps of power control, LED lights with push buttons that are easy to use at night. There is a diffuser available now for $12 extra. Good build quality, magnetic on-off switch, sealed battery compartment. $159 + 12 for diffuser includes sync cord.

Next up is the new Fantasea Line Remora, actually same flash tube, different electronics and design. GN=18. Much better light control; 10-100% dial and a very good diffuser that spreads the light better. Has a mount for a small NanoFocus light for aiming. However not a sealed battery compartment. $198 + $30 for sync cord.

Much better is the Sea & Sea YS-27DX, 8 steps of power, great build quality, small, balanced size. 98x80 degree beam angle, GN=20. If you are going to get into a better rig, maybe a DSLR someday, this is what I recommend. $349, plus sync cord.

Up from that is the Sea & Sea YS110a, GN 24, 13 steps of power control, target light, 105x105 degree beam angle, D-TTL auto control operation. $634, plus sync cord.

All are available on whatever tray, etc package you like. I’m, in the process of adding the Remora ones. But figure about $60-70 more than the UltraMax for it.

Jack

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Jack!!

With the Focus Light, it looks like it is just a small flashlight? Do you have to turn it off when your about to take a picture, or does it somehow turn itself off before the picture is taken?

It has a small array of LEDs to give a fairly even light, so it's different than a flashlight that is more of a spot. It has a sensor that turns itself off then back on during exposure.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom