Oly E-520 in Loreto Baja CA Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmchugh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently took a trip to Loreto in southern Baja in the Sea of Cortez. I went out diving 3 days and used each of my lens/port combinations for my E-520, S&S 110 and 110a. Day 1 I used the 9-18 in the Athena Dome, Day 2 50mm macro in Athena port with a screw on wet lens, and the final day I used my 14-54 lens with Oly port. I got some good pictures with each of the lenses but probably got the most the most good pictures with the 14-54 due to its versatility. I would have liked to use the 9-18 again on a day with better conditions as it was tough to light properly with my setup and not get too much backscatter. The 50mm worked great but there were a lot of wide angle possibilities that I missed out on, similarly there were some macro opportunities that I missed with the 9-18. Album at my photobucket:

Loreto 2009 pictures by bmchugh_photo - Photobucket

Brian

Brian,

It's always useful to read about lens choices.

I recently took all my lenses to Mexico and only used the 14-54 and the 50. The 14-54 is my go-to-I-don't know-what-I'm-going-to-see lens; this amazing, quality, high end, zoom lens is wide enough and narrow enough to do almost any shot with good results. The 50mm is fantastic for macro.

I have a 7-14 but seldom use it. I've found the Sigma 105 to be a very hard lens to use with my E-330.

Brian - works well doesnt it? I have a similar set up with the e520 and I am enjoying it. The only thing I found on my latest trip to Lembeh was that some of the shots came out very flat, by that I mean they are lacking definition. This could well be me not being used to it yet or something in my setup that affects some shots.

Would like to show examples and will post some soon but it is taking ages for me to work the RAW files up into Jpg's in Master 2.

I wish I had shot the 14-54 the whole trip but I felt obligated to try all my lenses. I shoot the 50 mm almost every week in San Diego. I could have got the seahorse I saw but unfortunately I dove with the 9-18 on that dive so I have a spec. The versatility of the 14-54 is really a nice feature.

My wife and I were in the second week of August. When were you there? Who did you dive with?

I was in Loreto and dove on the 11, 13, and 14. I dove with Dolphin Dive Center.

Brian

Ha! We left on the 11th -- I think we actually may have run into you at Dolphin Divers that morning when we came by to settle up our bill with them. Great pictures. Looks like you may have had a bit better visability than we had our week!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom