Olympus E-PM2 announced for October; underwater housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gustele

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I saw that the Olympus E-PM2 is announced. I am considering e new camera and housing as a successor to my S&S DX-1G and have decided for the E-PM1. Seeing that the new E-PM2 uses the same chip as the Olympus OM-D I would like to wait for this new camera.
Does anybody know if an underwater housing will be made for this camera? Or is a touch screen with most of the camera functions not compatible with an underwater housing?

This is good news because I think the E-PL5 will be an excellent UW camera. I hope there will be a Nauticam housing!!

Edward?

The rear button and control dial layout is different on the E-PM2 vs. the E-PM1. You'll be sol regarding the current housing. Also keep in mind that when Oly produces follow-on cameras, housing production goes away pretty fast. And replacement parts like "o" rings disappear too.

Here's a review: Olympus PEN E-PM2 Compact System Camera - Hands-On Preview

Nothing from Oly or probably from Nauticam for the PM-2. I talked to LC Ng at 10Bar last night and tried to see if he was interested, but I kinda doubt it.
I think there will be a lot more support for the E-PL5, but I think the higher-end manufacturers may skip it, and continue to build their support for the OMD.

I actually liked the PM-1 quite a bit, and if you're looking for a bargain the PM1 and PT-EP06 tops my list.

Jack

Thanks Jack. I had looked at the estimated price for the E-PM2 and E-PL5. Quite high, so I decided to go with the E-PM1 with the PT-E06 housing. It topped my list also but then I saw that the successor was announced.
I have one question though: I love macro photography and I cannot find anything on a macro option on the E-PM1 itself (closest focussing distance?). And the PT-E06 housing has no 67mm threading for add-on macro lenses. Does anyone have experience with macro photography and the E-PM1 in the PT-E06 housing? What are the options?

Gustele,

There are two housings for this camera. The PT-EP06L housing has a 67mm threaded bezel which can accept macro and wide angle adapter lenses. This housing costs about $100 more unfortunately. It has 4 LED focusing/illumination lights.

The 14-42mm (II) kit lens has a close focusing distance of 25 cm/9.8" with a magnification ratio of: 0.19x / 1:53 (0.38x / 1:2.6 35mm equivalent)

You just need the macro adapter and lens for the PT-EP06. The PT-EP06L is $799 and the lights are a joke on it.

Jack

The rear button and control dial layout is different on the E-PM2 vs. the E-PM1. You'll be sol regarding the current housing. Also keep in mind that when Oly produces follow-on cameras, housing production goes away pretty fast. And replacement parts like "o" rings disappear too.

Here's a review: Olympus PEN E-PM2 Compact System Camera - Hands-On Preview

Hi peeps (will put an introduction post up later today), I was looking for info on the epm2 as well and came across this thread, while you may be right for some manufacturers I actually spoke with olympus about the epm1 because I am being bought a camera and housing for my 40th and I wanted something that would be good to use above water as well, they will continue to support the epm1 and housing for 5 years from October when it was discontinued (so all the way to 2017), this includes the housing o-rings and servicing. They also informed me that the housing can still be sent to them for servicing over that period, and the first 2 years are free except o-rings if they need replacing.

I hope this handy bit of info clears up any mis-guided opinions about Olympus as a manufacturer.

I am still more convinced about waiting for a Nauticam or 10bar housing for my e-pl5... If we look at the e-pl3 options over here in Europe, the 10bar housing is not even more expensive than the EP05L.

10bar with flat port: 700EUR:
Neuheiten - 10Bar HS-DC-Op-EPL3 (Olympus E-PL3) - Aditech | Advanced Diving Technology

Oly PT-EP05L: 690EUR:
Olympus PT-EP05L Unterwassergehäuse (V6300510E000) Preisvergleich | geizhals.eu EU

OTOH, Once I want to check out the HMS St Istvan in Croatia (lies 65m deep - too deep for Oly housings).

I hope this handy bit of info clears up any mis-guided opinions about Olympus as a manufacturer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom