Best addtion to current XZ-1 Setup- Macro Lense or Focus Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staggsSevin

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey Guys,

I'm getting ready to take my second trip with my XZ-1 Setup (PT50, and s2000). I have decided I like macro type shooting the best....I'm still very much in the early learning stages and currently shoot in aperture mode. I did take a class in Roatan with Tim at coco view who helped me a lot back in April.

But back on to the topic I'm considering purchasing a macro lense to help out with my macro shots or should i go for a focus light first? I will be shooting in RAW this time out since I have a lot of issues getting a manual w/b 30 ft or deeper on the XZ-1. In roatan I didn't care for any of my wide angle shots but we did like a lot of my macro shots.

So SB which would be money well spent first a macro lense for underwater or a focus light to help out. I could probably swing the cost of a SOLA 500 right now but that would be on the top end of my budget. I'd rather go with something a bit cheaper since this is just a side hobby of mine :)

I would go for the closeup lens, the housing already has the 67mm thread so it will be easy to mount an Inon M67 165 or SubSee +5 or +10. I use my closeup lenses far more often than my focus light.

phil Rudin

If you are thinking of a focus light consider the LaLuz L800 which is only $199 plus shipping including the light, two batteries, a charger, a wrist cord and a red filter. It can be used as a focus light or video light or dive light. However, I agree with Phil that the close up lens is the first priority. I have the Subsee +5 which I am using on an EPL2 and have been very happy with it.

Thanks Guys, I will go with the close up lens first!

if you are a newbie to close-up lens... Inon M67 165 would be ideal as it is easy to focus....if u wanna jump to the hardcore get yourself the subsee +10 :)

I get why you would need it for video lighting, but is that much output really needed to assist macro focusing?

I had been contemplating something like this: Tovatec IMINI waterproof flashlight | Intova
You can pick them up for about $65 and Phil's post implies they're often not necessary, so would something like this be a reasonable compromise for us amateurs?

I've never used a focus light but was (optimistically?) thinking that the relatively long burn-time on something like this would last most of a trip if just being used as a 'top-up' in tricky conditions...

Chris

if you are a newbie to close-up lens... Inon M67 165 would be ideal as it is easy to focus....if u wanna jump to the hardcore get yourself the subsee +10 :)

The Inon M67 165 is right up my alley if it's for newbies :) I still use auto focus, after adding the close up lens I will lose the ability for fast AutoFocus and I will need to switch to manual focus correct?

I don't know the camera well but do you have the ability to choose manual mode when in macro?

I just switched over to the xz-1 this summer (only because my other camera flooded). I already had the S2000 and subsee +10 and paired them all up down on the Turks and Caicos the end of June. I have never had problems with focusing when shooting supermacro until this past trip.

I shoot manual with AF and macro mode all the time. I found that it was very difficult to get this camera to focus on my really close up shots so just recently bought a little nano focus light to use on my trip down to the caymans... leaving Friday and will be diving by Sunday. I also bought the subsee +5 to bring along.

From everything I've read and people I've talked with, the focus light will really help the xz-1 AF to work, especially for supermacro.... but will let you know what I think while down there.

However, in answer to your question..... I would start off with a close up lens first. You don't need to set the camera to manual focus... AF is fine. Just play with it.
For the most part my setting is manual, AF, macro, F5.6 and 1/200.... I have my strobe set to sttl and the camera to force flash. Will be trying out the 1/16 flash setting on this trip and if needed, play with the exposure on the inon.

I have pics taken with this camera in my T+C facebook folder.

The Inon M67 165 is right up my alley if it's for newbies :) I still use auto focus, after adding the close up lens I will lose the ability for fast AutoFocus and I will need to switch to manual focus correct?

You can maintain it on AF...I doubt it would be that hard to focus its only u need to be familiar with the distance and you will get this when u use it more often....if u shoot on S-TTL u need to maintain your camera flash at force flash option....only this option works with S-TTL on s2000...

Back
Top Bottom