Olympus EP-3 White Balance Error

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently bought the 10bar housing for the Olympus EP-3 underwater housing.

I am playing around with manual white balance underwater, but every time I use my slate to set the balance by taking a photo with their white balance feature. I receive a "WB NG Error"

Anyone have any ideas or tips ?
I am using their stock 14-42mm f3.5-5.6f lens

This issue has come up before but I could not find the reference. My recollection is that the problem arises when there is insufficient light or white in the picture for the manual white balance to work. I quickly found the following comment in the E3 manual:

After pressing the shutter button, [WB NG RETRY] is displayed:
When there is not enough white in the image, or when the image is too bright, too dark or the
colors look unnatural, you cannot register the white balance. Change the aperture and shutter
speed settings, then repeat the procedure from Step 1.

At depth your slate may appear to be so far off of white that that camera cannot set one touch white balance. If you are using flash then auto white balance works just fine anyway. If you are shooting ambient light shots leave it in auto, shoot RAW and make your adjustments to white balance when you process your pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom