NAUTICAM 60mm Port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Nauticam has announced how it intends to support the 60mm macro lens. A new 60mm macro port has been introduced along with extensions for the current Panasonic 45mm macro port and for the flat port 35. A manual focus gear will also be released. No port is being released to use the focus limiting dial. I have found that using the lens set to full range or limited from 1:1 to .4m both work quite well with fast auto focus and little hunting. For those how want to carry fewer ports the extensions will work well for current port owners.

These ports all support the 67mm thread for closeup lenses and flip adapters.

You can also read mr review of the 60mm macro lens in the just released issue #69 of Underwater Photography magazine, UWPMAG.com.

You can also say hello if you are attending DEMA, I will be at the Inon stand near the Nauticam area.

Phil Rudin

http://www.nauticamusa.com

Hoping that the zoom gear will also work in the 12-50 port but I don't see why it would not. I would be upset if I have to spend huge $$ to get another port just for manual focus.

Nauticam has announced how it intends to support the 60mm macro lens. A new 60mm macro port has been introduced along with extensions for the current Panasonic 45mm macro port and for the flat port 35. A manual focus gear will also be released. No port is being released to use the focus limiting dial. I have found that using the lens set to full range or limited from 1:1 to .4m both work quite well with fast auto focus and little hunting. For those how want to carry fewer ports the extensions will work well for current port owners.

Phil, These are great news. As an owner of a current flatport 56, can I use one of these extension rings for this lens?

Thanks!

My guess would be that since the 12-50 port has a 77mm glass and the 60 ports have a 67mm glass that between 12-14mm the lens would vignette and have dark corners.

Phil Rudin

The 12-50 Nauticamport is already at the real limit as it vignettes slightly at 12mm when shooting in RAW (!).

Kudos to Nauticam for having come out with such a complex port anyway but frankly I wished the final part of the port was larger and with a semidome. It would have had a true 24mm FOV, a bit less aberrations, and still with a good macro. It would be a near perfect option to cover most shots except only for supermacro and fisheye shots.

The way it was developed still provides great quality and versatility but still a bit of a compromise.

For that amount of money it deserved no compromise.

:coffee:

FWIW, I tend to agree. For "all around" shooting I don't need to add a diopter to the already very good macro function of the lens, so screw threads on the port are less important for me. A slight semi-dome would have kept the full 12mm field of view, and the 43mm macro mode provides good working distance even if there is a slight bulge for a semi-dome. The port as developed seemed to be more geared for macro shooters who want to stack diopters on the lens and only occasionally shoot wide, as opposed to "all around" shooters who want wide just as often as macro.

Oh well, can't have everything and the port is still a remarkable set-up. Still, I want to give this feedback in case Phil passes it along to Nauticam

Back
Top Bottom