olympus OMD vs Nikon D90 ? for a new uw photographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FranzoMCK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some advice. I want to get into underwater photography. I own a Nikon D 90 but without any lens suitable for u/w photography. should I look for a housing and lenses for D 90 or invest directly in the oly omd system, 12-50 + 8 mm? thanks

Last edited:
I need some advice. I want to get into underwater photography. I own a Nikon D 90 but without any lens suitable for u/w photography. should I look for a housing and lenses for D 90 or invest directly in the oly omd system, 12-50 + 8 mm? thanks

As an owner of a D80 and an E-PL3, in my mind the OMD system (with nauticam housing) is a winner here: Newer system, more options for future lenses, smaller U/W form factor, easier to travel with, extremely good image and AF quality, the nauticam is an amazing housing and cheaper than DSLR housings (I guess I can add more).

-Nir

Thank you Nir,
My dive buddies recommend me to buy a new DSLR, but I think the Oly OMD is a fantastic system to start and to grow with in the future.

Franzo,

The nice thing about the OMD system is that above water it's a great system too. I'm a professional photojournalist and use Canon (1DmkIV and 1DmkIII) at work. I also own Nikon pro gear for my personal gear. Recently I picked up the OMD as a new uw camera. Stuff happens and I haven't been able to pick up my Nauticam housing yet. However, I use the OMD quite often in my pro photography. With the 40-150 lens, it allows me to carry a really small 300mm equivalent camera around my neck without adding a lot of weight to my overall kit. Granted, this lens is pretty much only usable with a lot of light, but I have run the ISO up to 4000 and, for newspaper work, it's quite usable. I'm about one really good camera in the micro four thirds format away from dumping my Nikon gear for the smaller but very usable system begun with the OMD.

I went through the same excercise you are going through and it is a big stretch if you are a Nikon lover which I was. I put as much together on a spreadsheet and was shocked! I could buy a complete system excluding flashes and the macro lens for the price of a housing for my Nikon. The Oly system was smaller and apart from it's minor drawbacks it has been a truly great camera. I have since bought the 50mm macro and a 1.4X EC-14 and it is amazing to me. I have had my system for 3 years and still have not reached all I can do with it. Still I picked up an OMD in a duty free store and was dribbling within a few seconds, I want one of those.:crafty:

_3245380.jpg_9256727.jpg_3255566.jpg

I was the owner of a Nikon D 90 with Aquatica housing , great camera ! I own now an OMD in Nauticam housing and I'm completely fond of this new rig . Especially now that macro is possible with the new Oly 60 mm . The 12-50 is also a great lense very very versatile with real possibilities in macro mode , and it port although really expensive suit perfectly well the 60 mm as well.
I don't regret my Nikon D 90 , which was really to heavy to carry on land and in the planes . but I've keep my Aquatica dome and macro port and my Tokina 10-17 , 60 mm Nikon and 105 as well , who knows , women are so changeable.
Look on my Flickr Gallery ( adress below ) and you will see pictures taken with the Nikon D 90 and OMD and also with the tiny Canon S90 also a great camera !!

Hey there,

Now that I'm reading this, I'm doubting if I should buy a D7000... and buy an OMD instead..... Im not new to UW photography, I shoot Cano G9 in full manual and its time to upgrade....

Hey there,

Now that I'm reading this, I'm doubting if I should buy a D7000... and buy an OMD instead..... Im not new to UW photography, I shoot Cano G9 in full manual and its time to upgrade....

BGFspeedy: You should look at all options and a D7000 is a good camera but this OMD seems to be a very strong contender. See Alex Mustard ( a strong Nikon advocate) article re OMD Olympus OM-D E-M5 - Digital SLRs/Housings - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

It has 220 replies so far and is most probably the best in depth review of this camera I have seen.

Jumping on the Band Wagon here. I have been shooting the OMD in Nauticam since I sold my NEX 7 about 3 months ago. Using the Oly 9-18 with Sola 2000 video lights. Mostly shooting at 9mm.
I love it. Love Love it.
Being able to control everything anytime you want and having the choices that a pro DSLR setup offers. The video is pretty good even in Low Light and the Focus is way faster than the early EP's that I was using a couple of years ago.
I would highly recommend this camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom