E-PL1 and PT-EP01 Special

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstrek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I received an email from Adorama that they are running a special on the E-PL1, 14-42 mm kit lens and PT-EP01 housing for just under $400. I know the camera is a couple years old but it is great to travel and dive with. This is a wonderful camera, on land and underwater and at this price, would be a good starter (or spare) - just add a strobe!

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Digital 14-42mm Camera Bundle w/PT-EP01 Underwater Housing 262856 S

shut-up-and-take-my-money11.jpg

---------- Post Merged on November 15th, 2012 at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was on November 14th, 2012 at 12:09 PM ----------

Someone made an Oopsy over at Adorama - was supposedto be $399 OFF, not $399 total...

http://www.adorama.com/IOMEPL1B14BS.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=brate

I have been tempted by this deal, but I have a E-pm1 I was going to house. I cant even get the housing for the E pm1 at that price though. If anyone has both is there any advantage of the e-pm1 over the e-pl1?

---------- Post Merged at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:25 PM ----------

I just called them and pulled the trigger on the deal. They are still doing it for $399 total.

It looks like they have corrected the online error. $399 seemed too good to be true and it is now $700 for the kit. If you got it for $399 you got one heck of a good deal!

I haven't used the e-pm1 but I have used the OM-D EM-5 which is a killer camera, although expensive to house.

Last edited:
They still have it listed at $399 Olympus PEN E-PL1 14-42mm Camera Bundle w/Underwater Housing & Accessory Pack 262856 U I called the order in to be sure it was not a mistake.

---------- Post Merged at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:27 PM ----------

It looks like they have corrected the online error. $399 seemed too good to be true and it is now $700 for the kit. If you got it for $399 you got one heck of a good deal!

I haven't used the e-pm1 what I have used the OM-D EM-5 which is a killer camera, although expensive to house.

The EM-5 looks like a awesome camera, much more than what I need.

Last edited:
epointer,

The E-PM1 may be slightly faster to focus and shoot than the E-PL1, which was released in 2010. The E-PM1 is essentially a detuned E-PL3. Also, the newer 14-42mm kit lens is supposed to be an improvement over the original kit lens.

I think that the housing for the E-PL1 may offer greater access to the camera controls underwater. The E-PM1 housing won't let you operate the selector wheel on the E-PM1 camera's back. The E-PL1 has buttons for these controls.

If you you could get the deal on the E-PL1 plus the housing, I think it would be a good one to take advantage of.

I just housed an E-PM1, and bought another E-PM1 as my "insurance" camera. The E-PM1 camera has already been replaced by the E-PM2, and I understand that Olympus will not offer an u/w housing for this newer camera. They seem to be pushing the E-PL3/housing combination for underwater.

This Adorama sale may just be an effort to move some older stock. Wish it had happened two months ago. That said, I just returned from a Turks & Caicos live aboard trip and was very pleased with my camera rig.

Here are some reviews of the two cameras:

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Compact System Camera - Full Review

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Compact System Camera - Initial Test

I ordered the kit last night and it was waiting for me on my porch when I got home today! I had a Epl1 before but sold it. I thought I would be better off with something smaller but I was wrong. What I should of asked is there really any advantage of the Epm1 underwater over the epl1? I really like the controls of the epl1 over the epm1. Any tips?

Other than slightly faster focusing speed I don't think there is much difference between the E-PM1 and the E-PL1 cameras underwater. However, I have never used an E-PL1. Reviewing some of Phil Rudin's posts about Pen series cameras here on Scubaboard would be useful. He has lots of tips and asides on these cameras.

The chief disadvantage of the E-PM1 is that I can't easily scroll back to review photos. You use the control wheel for this on an un-housed camera. I try not to mess around with camera controls much underwater. I adjust shutter speed to obtain a pleasing background hue; keep the aperture around ƒ8- ƒ11; Use a 16 Gb SD card; use 2 strobes and adjust the strobe for best exposure on my subject; and shoot RAW.

Many times converting an overall blue or green hued image to B&W can render a much more pleasing result.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom