E-PL5 in Olympus E-PL3 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have done my last four dives with my new E-PL5 in my old Olympus E-PL3 housing (the PT-EP05L). The camera is a slightly snug fit, but it went in without any housing modification & all the buttons work, at least for still photography. Sample shots here:

Flickr: watsonphil35's Photostream

(the most recent 21 photos were all with the E-PL5). The usual disclaimers apply: this is only my personal experience with the combination.

Phil

Last edited:
Philw - that is REALLY interesting! Great that all the buttons work! Amazing...

When you say snug fit - how much difference is the fit between the E-PL3 and E-PL5?

Can you confirm the video button works / doesn't work?
elp3_epl5.jpg

Last edited:
Aha, that's the only one I didn't try! I will try it today for you. From the look of the cameras it could be a problem.

This very interesting news (as an E-PL3 owner). I would be interested to hear what people with nauticam housing experience with the E-PL5?

Shame about the video button. I reprogrammed it to do focus in manual mode and it is one of the buttons I use the most...

1) I have just confirmed Rich's suspicion that the video button doesn't work. Neither does the one next to it (the review button with the magnifying glass).

2) In terms of the snugness of fit: my E-PL3 fits in the housing with a bit of clearance on the sides, maybe the width of a credit card. The E-PL5 is right up against the little rubber bumpers on each side.

I really like ProfF's idea of using the video button for manual focus since I never use it. But now I can't do that unless I get a new housing :-(

Phil

Phil,

Can you send a picture of the camera in the housing? and also of the inner side of the housing back? I suspect that with a bit of DYI you can modify where the actuator (sp?) presses on the camera. Unlike other parts of the housing that I would not mess with, this seems like something that you can play with.

-Nir

Great news Phil, I hope this also means, that the major players (nauticam & 10bar) will come up soon an epl5 modified version of their housing.

I have done my last four dives with my new E-PL5 in my old Olympus E-PL3 housing (the PT-EP05L). The camera is a slightly snug fit, but it went in without any housing modification & all the buttons work, at least for still photography. Sample shots here:

Flickr: watsonphil35's Photostream

(the most recent 21 photos were all with the E-PL5). The usual disclaimers apply: this is only my personal experience with the combination.

Phil

Here you go Nir. I dunno if I like the camera being white, but it was the only colour in stock.

Oly 3.jpgOly 2.jpgOly 1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom