Olympus OM-D port and the 9 - 18mm lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
According to the Olympus site the standard port (PP-EP01) for the Oly housing can be used with 8 different lenses. Their list includes the 9 - 18 mm. My question is whether this lens is fully usable at 9mm without vignetting in this port ? I would have thought a dome would be needed for that lens to get full use of it at wide angle. Anyone got any practical experience with this port and lens combination?

If this port was truly usable with all the lenses they list it would theoretically cover all my needs in one port (9 - 18mm, 12 - 50mm, 60mm macro). Seems too good to be true.

Thanks for your advice Phil. I figured a wide angle lens wouldn't be ideal behind a flat port.

I don't suppose there are any single ports available that would allow the use of the lenses I mentioned
(9 - 18mm, 12 - 50mm, 60mm macro)?

Yes, the ZEN dome port for the 9-18 would work with all just like the Olympus flat port will work with all. With the dome port you limit the long (60mm/50mm) ends of the lens just like you limit the 9mm and 12mm end with the flat port.

If you want the best image quality you can get you will need a dome port and a flat port with the 67/77mm threads for closeup lenses.

Phil Rudin

Thanks again for your advice.

Would the Zen dome work equally with those lenses and an E-PL5 if I decided to go that route rather than the OM-D?

I use the 9-18 and 14-42 lenses on my E-PL2 in the Oly housing. I have both the stock Oly flat port and the Zen dome. 90% of the time I use the 14-42 behind the Zen dome along with a pair of Inon 165 macro lenses in the Oly 67mm holder. 5% of the time is with the 9-18 and Zen dome and 5% with the 14-42 and the Oly flat port. My opinion would be that if I had the 12-50 behind a Zen dome you would maybe be doing the same thing I am. It's a great all around set up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom