OMD EM-5+12-50mm+Nauticam = No Manual focus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bullshark

Reaction score
I have all the above. I have just assembled it and it all works just fine.

What I can't figure out is how to accomplish Manual Focus without access to the Focus ring on the lens.
I have no problem selecting MF Mode. The problem is actually focusing the lens manually without the ring.

Is it possible?

Last edited:
As far as I can tell there is no focus ability since the gear is designed to switch back and forth to select or deselect the Macro function...

I know the gear on the port doesn't do it. That's why my question asks how to do it without access to the focus ring.

The lens is operated electronically. The camera focuses the lens without turning the ring. My hope is that there is some setting(s) in the menu system that permit focusing the lens manually by operating buttons. Every digital camera I have ever had effects a "manual" focus by using the 4-way keypad to operate the lens. I just haven't found a way to do that on the EM-5.

I have all the above. I have just assembled it and it all works just fine.

What I can't figure out is how to accomplish Manual Focus without access to the Focus ring on the lens.
I have no problem selecting MF Mode. The problem is actually focusing the lens manually without the ring.

Is it possible?

AFAIK, no, you cannot manually move the focus forward/backward. You can assign a key for the AFL and then in MF mode use that key to focus and then it would stay on that focus point while you shoot (basically almost zero trigger delay). This would work with any lens, not just the 12-50.

-Nir

"Every digital camera I have ever had effects a "manual" focus by using the 4-way keypad to operate the lens" .... mmmm as far as I have experienced, except for compacts, all DSLRs I have used or owned (mainly CANON) could not do it... And frankly speaking :confused6::confused6::confused6: even on compacts I just hated trying to do it...

Back
Top Bottom