E-PL1 with PT-EP01 lens options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Burghaps

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

So I recently took advantage of the deal on adorama for the e-pl1 and pt-ep01 package. This is my first upgrade from a point and shoot and I know will take lots of practice. I also have the sea&sea ys-d1 strobe with a sola 500 photo light. My question is for lens options. My favorite type of shooting is macro, but I also enjoy shooting the reef scape with wide angle lens. Being that I can't change ports underwater, I am looking for the best option to accomplish both during the same dive. I have been reading a lot on the forum here, but are getting lost with a lot of the technical terms. The camera came with the standard 14-42 lens. I am looking at the zen wide angle dome port, but am wondering if I can accomplish macro shots with that port and if so what lens is best to fit in there with the option of both macro and wide angle? Any other suggestions are welcome too. Thanks a lot!

Someone on here reported that the adorama deal packages the second version of the 14-42 lens, instead of the one that came with the E-PL1 originally. I know the first version had the ability to focus closer, so you might seek that one out (there may be other tradeoffs to consider as well though). It still won't be as good as a dedicated macro lens of course.

Does anyone know whether the 60mm f2.8 will work in the original E-PL1 housing? I think the lens size is similar to the extended 9-18mm or 14-42mm.

I think we should start an E-PL1 forum/club!

I don't know the answers to your questions about the other lenses -- I have the older 14-42 and am happy with its macro capabilities. However, I do get envious of even closer shots -- dslr with either 60 mm or 100 but I'm just not willing to spend the $.

I think we should start an E-PL1 forum/club!
Sign me up...

I would also like to know about the 60mm, as well as the 12-50mm and their port options for PT-EP01.

I have been happy with the 14-42mm and a SubSee +10 Diopter part-time, mostly macro & not many attempts at WA, but really want to work on that next.

Unfortunately, I have only used the rig on 2 trips in 2 years, hopefully a third before too long. Pic's here;
Anilao 2011
Anialo 2012

Last edited:
So the new set up arrived today! And yes, it came with the second version of the 14-42 lens. We should definitely get a forum/club going!
DSR-3 where did you get that mount for the subsee diopter? Is it removable underwater? Anyone know how it compares to the Inon UCL-165 M67 macro lens? I can't wait to start setting this up!

I made the mount. Yes, it clips on-off underwater, which I think is a good thing.

I have the olympus mount for the UCL-165 M67 and dont use/like it much. Going to invest in the 60mm macro lens which I think fits in the standard port. The dome ports are more for Wide Angle lenses like the 9-18mm or 8mm.

Where do I sign up?

Due to a cracked Panasonic housing for my ZS3 I'm moving to mirrorless.
Just ordered that amazing Adorama deal yesterday. E-PL1 with the PT-EPO1 (plus zoom ring).
Looks like it's coming with the 14-42 version II.

I'm carrying over my tray/arms/strobe/video/focus light to the new system.

Going by DSR-3's Anilao shots it looks like the Oly 60mm in the stock port with the Subsee is a great macro setup.

Those are some incredible shots. Nice!
I'm assuming you are using the original 14 - 42?
Nice job on that mount.

Very interested in available port/lens combinations as well as camera settings, strobes etc.

Above post should read..
Going by DSR-3's Anilao shots it looks like the Oly 14 - 42 in the stock port with the Subsee is a great macro setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom