OMD 12-50mm with domeport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There's discussion in this forum regarding ports for 12-50mm and 60mm for nauticam housing.
I was considering the 12-50mm port, 60mm port and 4" dome.
Although I appreciate the innovation to build the 12-50mm, I opt the 4" dome + flip diopter adapter for the following reasons:
- Love 12-50mm for topside as well. The 12-50mm gear is complicated - install and removing is troublesome.
- Flat lens is not the best for 12mm - will reduce the FOV significantly.
- Own 2 wet lens diopters
- Own EPL1 w/ 10bar. 12-50mm is better than 14-42, so I can use the 12-50mm with EPL-1 if I use 60mm or 7-14mm for OMD
- Firmware 1.5 allow to control 12mm and 50mm with single button - no need zoom gear.
- lower cost though not the main point

Both 12-50mm port and 4" dome were available at Nauticam distributor in Jakarta where I bought the housing, so I can check and compare.
I'm happy with my decisson, and here few shots; all except the first 2 pics are taken on 1 night dives.

Nemo4.jpg

12mm is not wide even with dome port.

wirecoral.jpg

night dive at Yenbuba jetty R4. This wobegong is quite big; I think 1.5 m long. I did''n realize there's 2 crocodile fish until the dive guide told me after the dive.

Wobegong_2.jpgCrocodilefishes.jpg

and 50mm with or without wet lens

Eye_of_crocfish.jpgPipefish8.jpgShrimp26.jpgSmallfish_1.jpgOcto12.jpg

we need to assign one of Fn button for macro/WA toggle for the camera to go to UW macro mode (focus set to 50mm) and UW WA (12mm) alternately
Since I don't want to use default camera setting either macro or WA, I need this function to control the focus lenght only. once I get the 12mm or 50mm, then set the mode to manual.
So, I have full manual mode at 12mm or 50mm.

The new firmware apparently only for OMD. No idea if Olympus will provide the upgrade firmware for PEN.

we need to assign one of Fn button for macro/WA toggle for the camera to go to UW macro mode (focus set to 50mm) and UW WA (12mm) alternately
Since I don't want to use default camera setting either macro or WA, I need this function to control the focus lenght only. once I get the 12mm or 50mm, then set the mode to manual.
So, I have full manual mode at 12mm or 50mm.

The new firmware apparently only for OMD. No idea if Olympus will provide the upgrade firmware for PEN.

I don't understand what you said, are you implying that you can change the focal length/zoom of the lens from the camera?

Does the firmware change allow you to only toggle between 12mm and 50mm - or does it also allow you to select the macro mode of the lens, which I believe is at 43mm with a short focal length?

You have three basic choices,

#1 firmware update allows you to switch to 12mm or 50mm with nothing in between. No cost.

#2 after market gear that allows you to zoom between 12 & 50mm in the Nauticam housing, cost involved.

#3 Nauticam 12/50 port and gear, $800.00 allows you to power zoom between 12 & 50 mm and shift to the 43mm macro setting.

This is an issue of you get what you pay for, that is why many are willing to spend the $800.00 so that they can get the full range of this very versital lens.

My full article of the lens options will release in the new UWPMAG.com coming around March 1.

Phil Rudin

Option # 3 is the way to go. You either do it right or just don't bother doing it. Option # 3 will allow you to use the 60mm lens in the same port no problem at all.

I don't see or understand how the flat port limits the FOV for the 12-50mm lens at all. I don't see that happening at all so far. The FOV will happen with the lens when you use diopters however and you can only use the lens as 20-50mm lens with the diopter.

Burhan read this, it will help you to understand how a flat port works and how a dome port works. They are not at all the same.

Phil Rudin

Flat ports? Dome ports? Diopters? What does it all mean?

Thank you. I understand what was said in this page but how does this relate to the 12-50mm lens? Does the "Nauticam Macro Port and Zoom Gear Set For Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ" have a problem with the wide angle part of the lens where one is better off using another type of dome port?

What problem is the OP and his idea of using a 4" Dome port trying to solve that the Nauticam port is creating for the 12-50mm lens?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom