Opinions/help on next lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrPfeffer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Right now I have an E-PL1 with the Oly housing, 14-42mm lens. Has been very good with getting me aquainted with the camera, but looking at making an investment in another lens. With my current housing I figure I could get the 60mm macro which is probably #1 on my list as I enjoy taking some macro and would be most cost effective, no changes to housing. Then again I do like to shoot bigger things where a WA would be much nicer, was thinking 9-18mm and zen dome port for this option. Would the 12-50 work with my housing/camera as a mid ground lens and be much better then the kit lens?

So Ild appreciate some help and opinions on this. Money isnt unlimited so cost must be factored, since I prefer to spend it on diving above all.

Thanks to any advice coming.

I went with Oly housing, and have the Zen 100mm dome as well as the PPO-EP01 port. I started with the Panasonic 8mm WA and Zen 100mm Dome, and then bought the 60mm and PPO-EP01 port. I love them both! The challenge with going to zoom on the Oly housing, is you are limited to the 14-42 or 9-18, as that is the only zoom ring you can get, and the same zoom ring works for both. You can use either lens with either port and get really good results. The difference is that the 9-18 bumps up against the outer edge of view on the PPO-EP01. I have not worked with the 14-42 yet, but I can tell you I sure wish I had something like it on a recent night dive to Lauderdale-By-The-Sea! I had my 60mm, which is really 120mm at 35mm, ad was WAY too close to a turtle that showed up and hung with us for quite a while. It would have been nice to have something like the 14-42 for general work..

60mm Macro
_1170126.jpg_1170104.jpg

8mm Panasonic
_B300106.jpg_C030010-3.jpg

And some video. This is with the PPO-EP01 port, 14-42mm, and a zoom ring. I was very happy with the performance of the 14-42mm.

[video=youtube_share;IuU0--qaKFs]http://youtu.be/IuU0--qaKFs[/video]

How have people liked using the 9-18mm with the standard flat port instead of the Zen dome? I know the results aren't optimal, but are they good enough that it's worth using the 9-18mm instead of the 14-42mm sometimes?

I'm sure the photo quality would be fine, but the 9-18 will vignette with the stock Olympus port.

I know the 9-18 will work in the standard port. It will not give you the full wide angle of view that a dome will give, but it will still be significantly wider than the kit zoom and so is worthwhile. Photo quality will be good, as it is a very good lens optically.

Someone would have to measure whether the 60mm will work in the standard port. I had the housing for the E-PL2 and it fit fine in the standard port, but there might be differences between housings.

Back
Top Bottom