thinking about getting a WiFi card for the EM-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConchyJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
This is that Oly say on the website:

SD Memory Card*1 (SDHC, SDXC, UHS-I compatible, Eye-Fi Card compatible*2)

*1: Class 6 is recommended for Movie shooting.
*2: Not compatible with endless mode. Release time lag may be generated in actual use.

What does this mean? Anyone using a wireless card?

TIA, Bob

I have an Eye-Fi 8GB Pro card. It works as advertised, transferring RAW images and video directly to my laptop. I haven't seen any indication of problems, except for one which is not mentioned. If i leave the card in my camera, i invariably find my battery is dead sometime later (even if the camera is off). For this reason, i simply don't make use of it. Finding a dead battery every time you pick up the camera just isn't worth it. It's possible to turn off the WiFi on the Eye-Fi card through the camera menus. And i've done this at times (but can't say for sure if this fixes the dead battery issue), but, honestly it takes more time to turn off and on the WiFi than it does just to take a card out of the camera and plug it into the computer. And the WiFi transfers are much slower than plugging the SD card into the computer.

The card does still work even inside the Nauticam housing, although transfer rates can slow down in some situations. That said, i've never used the card on a dive, and don't intend to.

If i lost the Eye-Fi card, i would not replace it.

Awesome feedback Bob, thank you. My question was based on being able to get the pictures without cracking the case, which is a great idea. If the Eye-fi card limits that, it does not seem a good idea in the long run.

Having done this since I was 14 years old, I will stick with eyeballing the seals with a magnifying glass every day I remove the camera to get at the pics.

Back
Top Bottom