covering the non-used fiber optic port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I finally got together enough money to pick up my Nauticam housing with 12-50 port for my e-m5. I am shooting with only one flash (S&S YS-01) until I can afford to get a second flash.

Now I have a question. If I want to take a natural light photo (subject outside flash coverage) how can I cover the non-used fiber optic port so that light doesn't leak out. I would think this would be a problem illuminating particulate matter in the water in front of the camera. I guess I could just put some duct tape over it, but was wondering if there was another alternative?

Thanks!

That can be done, but you do need to access the menu to do so. That means you might miss a shot, for instance, you are shooting a macro shot when all of a sudden a nice shark swims by. By the time you access the controls to the flash, he's gone. But if all you have to do is reach up and switch off the flash, it only takes a moment.

The time for changing your settings from macro to settings to shoot the shark are much longer than turning the flash off. If the shark is that fast and you don't have the time to shut the camera flash off, you don't have a chance of taking a decent picture of the shark to begin with anyways.

Thanks everyone for the information. Maybe I'm being too anal about this, worrying about backscatter from the small hole, but I've never used a fiber optic cable for flash before.

I think that it is easy to find out if it is a factor, just turn off the strobe and take a couple of pics and see if there is any effect on the pic from the internal flash.

That can be done, but you do need to access the menu to do so.
No, you don't need to go into the meny; you can assign almost any button for direct flash control. That's one of the great things with the EM-5: You can customize the buttons and control wheels almost anyway you want. You can program direct flash control on the Fn1, Fn2, Rec, down arrow or right arrow button. If you enable arrow button direct function, the default function for down arrow is drive mode and the default function for left arrow is flash mode. This is consistent with the behavior for a random, run-of-the-mill compact camera.

My initial custom control setup - before I've had the chance to field-test it underwater - is AEL on Fn1, MF on Fn2, ISO on Rec, flash control on right arrow and underwater mode toggle on the down arrow button. I've also chosen AEL/AFL modes S2/C2/M3, turning my MF mode into a sort of semi-manual focus with AF acquire on Fn1. That way, my "MF mode" strongly resembles the way I've set up my dSLR, with a separate AF acquire thumb button on the back and no AF on the shutter button.

BTW, see also Alex Mustard's excellent article on Wetpixel about OM-D customization for additional tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom