12-50 zoom on EM-5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConchyJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From UWP Mag:

"Olympus has added an upgrade to the OMD firm wear which allows the camera to zoom the lens from to 12mm or to 50mm when set to U/W wide angle or U/Wmacro mode."

Anyone try this? does this mean I can use this lens instead of the 14-42 in the Oly housing with either the dome or the flat port, and not need a zoom ring?

Or have I been living under a rock and simply did not know this? :banghead:

Yes to living under a rock, the update has been out for some time.

Yes to being able to use without the zoom gear but only at 12mm & at 50mm nothing in between and no switch to macro, 43mm.

Phil Rudin

Be aware, however, that using the underwater modes defaults to settings you may not want to use. After using the WA/macro to zoom the lens, move the mode dial off of A,S or M and then back to restore your settings.

Yes to being able to use without the zoom gear but only at 12mm & at 50mm nothing in between and no switch to macro, 43mm.

Phil Rudin

I must of asked this a few times sorry if so. Do you think Olympus/Zen will release a port for the Olympus housing?
Thnx

---------- Post added March 4th, 2013 at 03:44 PM ----------

Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin
I must of asked this a few times sorry if so. Do you think Olympus/Zen will release a port for the Olympus housing?
Thnx

Addict,

Zen has an entire line of ports for Olympus housings. If you are talking about the Olympus OMD E-M5 housing I have attached a link to the ports being offered, Welcome to zenunderwater.com!

If you are asking will ZEN make a 12-50 zoom flat port in addition to the stock Olympus port or the ZEN four inch dome port I don't see much upside for that as it would cost as much or more than the Nauticam port with gear.

The after market zoom gear made for the Nauticam housing that cost around 100 Euro may be made for the Olympus housing as well. You can read my UWPMAG.com review (current issue #71) for info. on how to contact the seller to see if this gear will be made. This gear allows you to zoom from 12 to 50mm but not access the macro setting.

Phil Rudin

Addict,

Zen has an entire line of ports for Olympus housings. If you are talking about the Olympus OMD E-M5 housing I have attached a link to the ports being offered, Welcome to zenunderwater.com!

If you are asking will ZEN make a 12-50 zoom flat port in addition to the stock Olympus port or the ZEN four inch dome port I don't see much upside for that as it would cost as much or more than the Nauticam port with gear.

The after market zoom gear made for the Nauticam housing that cost around 100 Euro may be made for the Olympus housing as well. You can read my UWPMAG.com review (current issue #71) for info. on how to contact the seller to see if this gear will be made. This gear allows you to zoom from 12 to 50mm but not access the macro setting.

Phil Rudin

Thank You

Phil Rudin

Thank you Phil... Sorry I missed you a few weeks ago. Yes I will be back down, so if you want to hang on to those two items, I will pick them up then. I need to get back down to do my Rescue Diver with Shana and the crew.

---------- Post added March 5th, 2013 at 07:25 AM ----------

Be aware, however, that using the underwater modes defaults to settings you may not want to use. After using the WA/macro to zoom the lens, move the mode dial off of A,S or M and then back to restore your settings.

Thanks Jim, good info. I used the 14-42 last time I dove the bridge, and was happy with the results. I realize this is a sharper lens, but don't currently have one. I might go ahead and get one so I can learn it before my next trip.

Received the 12-50 today. There is an update to it, 1.1 as well as an EM-5 update, 1.6.

I see the macro part now. It still focuses pretty close in non macro mode.

So I have the camera in M mode. Why is it when I hit ezoom(F2) I have to move the dial to get it back to where I can select Aperture and Shutter?

Very cool lens.

Hi Bob,

Holding that stuff for you and have some other items in the for sale section for 43.

Would be cool if we could get a bunch from here for the 2014 Digital Fiesta in Cozumel.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom