Olympus E-520?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norwegiandiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

I have just broken my Canon powershot G9, so I want to advance to DSLR.
Haven't got to much cash to buy new stuff, but I found a used setup for a reasonable price...

The setup is:

Camera: Olympus E-520
Housing: PT-E05
Ports: PPO-05 Port for 14-42mm
Lenses:Olympus 14-42mm
Olympus 35mm Macro with UV-filter.

OOC baseplate og armer
Fantasea fokuslight
1 x DHX flash.
Optical synk-kabel

I'm green on the field is this a good start??? Do I need anything else to get started? will I be able to take some good photos with this setup?
what should be added if anything?

Thank you!

Olympus E-series DSLRs are wonderful cameras for underwater photography. I think you will be very happy, however, I think you will find that two strobes are significantly better than one. Zuiko 14-54mm and 50mm lenses would be the next step up.

Thank you for your reply.
Will the port (PPO-05 Port for 14-42mm) work with other objectives than the 14 - 42 lens?

Evolt Underwater Lens Port PPO-E01 (14-45mm)
Evolt Underwater Lens Port PPO-E02 (11-22mm, 14-54mm)
Evolt Underwater Lens Port PPO-E03 (50mm Macro)
Evolt Underwater Lens Port PPO-E04 (7-14mm)
Evolt Underwater Lens Port PPO-E05 (14-42mm)

If you are looking for macro, I would go with the Athena 50mm port, extension ring PER-01(I have one I will happily sell you) and the 50mm and 1.4X extension. I have that on my E-620 rig.

Two strobes are better for sure. You have an awesome rig. Also if you go macro I recommend a focus light. The inexpensive Fantasea works fine.

Agree with above posters it is a great uw set up and I have one. You may find that the 50mm macro will fit in the e05 port as the size is similar to the 14-42 but you need to check that. I have the PPO- E01 and that fits the 14-42 and the 50mm macro which makes it very handy. Phil Rudin might drop by, but I would PM him on this and if the 35macro will fit in this port. If the 35 fits then you have a system to get started with. I would look to flashes as soon as finances are OK. If you buy flashes buy the best you can afford, best on market at moment are Inon Z240 and Sea and Sea YS-D1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom