E-PL5 or E-PM1 killer deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MadBeaverDK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Scubaboard

I’m about to upgrade my Oly XZ-1, and I had actually decided on an Oly E-PL5 in Oly housing. I’m getting the Oly 9-18 mm and the ZEN dome port to go with that. The kit without the lens but including the zoom gear is about 2000 USD. I’m going to the US next month and I’m planning on picking up the kit while there.

Now Bluewater Photo has a killer deal on the Oly E-PM 1, Oly housing and zoom gear for 500 USD. Adding the ZEN port which is 500 USD my total would be 1000 USD.

I’m really in a pinch here, as I’m having trouble deciding what to go with.

The E-PL5 has a lot of advantages AFAIK:
The 16 MP OM-D sensor
Better low light performance
Faster autofocus
More buttons for direct control
X-sync speed of 1/250 vs 1/160 on the E-PM1
Probably a whole lot more…

I’m planning to use the camera in full manual with a Sea & Sea ys-110a strobe. I’m leaning on the E-PL5 as I’m hoping on being able to use the camera for next many years. The E-PL5 just seems more future-proof in this regard. (I know, I know. Nothing is future proof when it comes to cameras). Also I’m wondering if the lack of direct control on the E-PM1 will become an annoyance when shooting in full manual. Finally I’m worried if the x-sync speed of 1/160 will become a limiting factor when having the sun in the frame.

But is the E-PL5 worth a 1000 USD more than the E-PM1?

Any advice is much appreciated

Last edited:
Tough call.

Is the Super Control Panel available on the E-PM1? Once you enable that you should not see any difference in full manual operation between the two. I have the E-PL3. Once enabled, you can do aperture L-R and shutter Up-Down on the wheel without changing menus. If you can do this, then that takes away the operation part. The sensor and AF are a bigger factor IMHO. Good luck!

But is the E-PL5 worth a 1000 USD more than the E-PM1?

Any advice is much appreciated

IMHO definitely yes

The only thing that would make me think twice is the 1/250 vs the 1/160 shutter speed limitation with flash.

Other than that I'd get the EPM1 and use the extra money for ports & lens.

I have the epl2 and I'm quite happy with it. The 2 things I wish it had were full HD for video and higher shutter sync.
The EPM1 solves one of those. You have to decide if the other is worth it.

I'm waiting for the day when we see these deals on the epl5, but that won't happen for at least a year.
Until then, my epl2 is very nice.

Last edited:
Could not resist this offer...looking forward to get it...found a way to get it shipped international too. Found the housing and the lens for 240 usd on sale in my home country :)

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom