Macro with EPM1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can buy a 60mm lens however good results can be obtained with a close up lens such as Inon UCL165 M67 or Dyron Double Diopter M67 this will reduce your minimum focussing distance and result in higher magnification

I believe you can also add a wet wide angle lens to your housing keeping the stock lens, one of the plus of your set up

the Subsee +5 (wet lens) works well with the kit lens too

Been awhile since I was on this forum so I thought I would drop in.

Anyway I have an Oly OMD EM-5 in the Nauticam housing with the 65 port which is made for the 60mm macro but at times I like to use the 12 - 50mm in this port; however, you can not access the macro function of this lens so you need to use wet lenses / dioptres much the same with the 14 - 42mm if you want to shoot macro images.

Here are a couple of images to show you the difference between no wet lens / dioptre and having one. Both images were shot at the minimum focusing distance and had the same settings of F13 @ 1/100 ISO 200 and twin Sea & Sea YS 110A strobes (snooted) at 2/3 power.

At 50mm

Ammo+Jetty+13-06-22++-+04.jpg

At 50mm with the +6 macro wet lens attached

Ammo+Jetty+13-06-22++-+03.jpg

The wet lens / dioptre allows you to focus closer and the higher the number the stronger it is - basically they are just big magnifying glasses that sit on the front of your housings and essentially they allow you to move closer to the subject.

To use them though, you need to understand that the camera is actually taking a photo of the virtual image created on the glass of the lens - so you need to get that in focus first (i.e. the image in the glass needs to be sharp) before you focus the camera.

This is easy to do all you do is move you camera in close until the image in the LCD screen becomes sharp (or move it back a bit) and when it is then you focus the camera.

Hope this helps.

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom