Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sometimes Unresponsive

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sometimes Unresponsive

Hi,

My Olympus OM-D E-M5 occasionally is unresponsive underwater.

I just got a Olympus OM-D E-M5 with a Nauticam housing, Panasonic 8mm fisheye, Olympus 60mm macro lens. Firmware body 1.6.

My buttons/settings are configured same as:
    http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=48625

I've only dived with this setup about 10 times and 2 times my camera stopped working underwater. I shoot in Manual Mode. When the camera stops working, it doesn't respond to any button pushes except the LV button (changes from EVF to Monitor). Main dial and Sub-dial still changes Aperture and Shutter. Shutter release does nothing and I can't even turn off the camera. Camera EVF/Monitor stays on until camera runs out of battery; it doesn't fall asleep. Camera displays live image. The flash (lightning bolt) and focus confirmation (green dot) icons in the EVF/Monitor are stuck on. When I remove the battery and put it back in the camera works again. Anyone else have this problem?

No floods or leaks and my depth was around 30m deep. I notice this happening usually when I focus then try to take a picture. This problem has happened using both the Panasonic 8mm fisheye and Olympus 60mm macro lenses.

Anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    I have not had that happen, and I have the same rig as yours. Does this happen ever on land?

Also, are you using the regular Oly battery? Sometimes the aftermarket batteries do odd things. I had a similar problem on my e-pl2 with a aftermarket battery.

Otherwise, it might need repair.

Single Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Hi Xcetra,

I just got the OMD (Nauticam housing) and took it to Bonaire - had something very similar happen - it 'locks-up' but I can turn it off and that seems to work. Not sure why it is locking-up either........I am using Olympus batteries....I was using the 12-50 lens.

Audrey

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I never had this happen but am interested in the reason if any
    I live in a sunny place surrounded by shady people

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by guyharrisonphoto View Post
    I have not had that happen, and I have the same rig as yours. Does this happen ever on land?

Also, are you using the regular Oly battery? Sometimes the aftermarket batteries do odd things. I had a similar problem on my e-pl2 with a aftermarket battery.

Otherwise, it might need repair.
    Hi,

No, the camera crash has never happened on land, though my button/dial settings are different for land. Underwater I used the shutter release and focus mapped to different buttons; on land I just use the shutter button (half pressed to focus). I have a feeling there might be a bug in the software using separate buttons for focus/shutter release.

I asked the same questions in Wetpixel and Phil Rudin had similar problems with unresponsiveness when he set his shutter release to the F1 button. Once he set it back to the shutter release button, no problems.

I tried to replicate the crash on land with my underwater settings but couldn't.

The crash is annoying because I can't turn off my camera underwater (on/off switch doesn't respond).

At first I was using a 3rd party battery then the second time the camera "crashed" I was using an Olympus battery and a different lens. So, it wasn't the lens nor the battery.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2013 at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Audsred View Post
    Hi Xcetra,

I just got the OMD (Nauticam housing) and took it to Bonaire - had something very similar happen - it 'locks-up' but I can turn it off and that seems to work. Not sure why it is locking-up either........I am using Olympus batteries....I was using the 12-50 lens.

Audrey
    Hi Audrey,

You were able to turn it off with the on/off switch? I have to remove the battery.

Single Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Hi Xcetra,

Yes - I could turn it off and on - so it would 'unlock' itself - I'm not sure what is causing it as I don't have the two different buttons set-up for focus and I use only Olympus batteries. Hopefully it is a 'bug' in the software and will be resolved in a release or two.

Audrey

Registered

The world is your oyster

Dives
    0 - 24
    did you guys report this to Olympus? you may have found an actual bug, and they may not know about it, so I suggest you report it and wait what olympus comes back with

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Hi,

I just described the problem to Olympus USA via their technical support form. Not sure if this is the best most direct way to tell them there's a probably a software bug. Is there a better way?

Jason

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I've just updated my OM-D body firmware to 1.7 so hopefully this helps with the crashes.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Hi.
    This has happend to me 3 times under water. Not funny. I had to remove the battery (on the surface)
    It seems that when i take photos to quick and just fireaway is the biggest risk.

I have ăpprox 45dives and 50h whit this setup.
    I have more or less the same setup as above (wetpixel). Firmaware 1.5 Guess i have to update.
    Oly batterie and sandisk ultra 64 or 32 GB.

Maybe the problem is that i am to triggerhappy and take raw and hires jpeg at the same time. Yes i know you dont have to take jpeg when you have a raw pic but sometimes i send pictures to friends when i am on vacation, and olympus raw is not so easy to handle.

Martin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast