Moving On from E-PL1 ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Have you? If so, to what system did you go? And, have you found any significant difference in your images?

I had an interesting discussion with a photographer friend yesterday. He told me he wasn't upgrading his system (Canon) because it was more camera than he was using right now. This is how I feel about my E-PL1 -- it is more camera than I am a photographer.

So, just curious. IF you've "moved up" from the E-PL1 system:

1. Why did you?

2. What did you go to?

3. Has it made a positive difference to your images?

Thanks everyone.

I moved to E-pl5 and it was worth it, way better IQ and lightning fast focus. Now i upgraded for e-m1 so i can have full control.

I moved to E-pl5 and it was worth it, way better IQ and lightning fast focus. Now i upgraded for e-m1 so i can have full control.

I'm considering an update too.
oren, I'm really curious about the focus of the m1.
The SLR photographers I know here use continuous autofocus - the great tracking capabilities you get with phase detection auto focus- to keep macro photos in focus, even when you move a little.

Generally the SLRs seem to be much better than mirrorless for moving subjects. Do you get that great continuous autofocus for moving subjects on the m1?

Oren, is the e-pl5 IQ better DUE to faster focus/more pictures in focus and lower noise? Or really due to better basic picture quality?

---------- Post added June 26th, 2014 at 10:28 PM ----------

No replies to this?

1. Why did you?

2. What did you go to?

3. Has it made a positive difference to your images?

Thanks everyone.

1. wanted a bigger screen

2. E-PL2. im still a tight arse

3. im not really sure. i think i've gotten better taking the pictures moreso than a function of the camera getting better.

its great i get to go and practice every weekend and click off a couple of hundred shots, some people have to wait a year to get feedback....i wait a few days to take the pic, evaluate and make changes.

I have to agree with you. im sure that i am not maximizing the capabilities of the camera. Spending $2000 on a new camera wont necessarily equate to better pictures.

I had a Cannon S100 and upgraded to an E-PL1 when the camera an housing set up went on sale for $600. Going mirrorless was a huge upgrade in picture quality. Some one posted settings and I followed everyone and the results were the best pictures I had taken.

I did run into some road blocks. Limited number of pictures because the camera would not focus fast enough; Macro and wide angle limitations.

I have been looking at upgrading to either the EM5 or EM1. One of the main reasons is because of the Nauticam vacuum seal. I stress over possible floods and I am willing to pay extra to relax and know my equipment is safe and that I can enjoy the dive.

I have spent the last 2 months debating over EM5 or EM1 and decided to go ahead and invest an extra $1000 on the EM1. The main reason is resale value. I would like a system that I can use for 2-3 years and will be worth something, so that when the time is right a can get half of what I paid for it back.

Right now I am only logging 25-30 dives a year in the Caribbean. I don't think with my amatuer skills that I will be able to see a noticable difference between the two cameras. I think most of the difference is in my head. I have read that the plan is to upgrade the EM5 in 2015 and to upgrade the EM1 in 2016. EM10 does not seem to impress anyone and the price point right now is higher than the EM5. No one seems to be too excited about the EPL7.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom